chapter eight

__

"Tangled thoughts, twisted words, mixed up feelings, loving hurts"

__

          WHEN MY head hit my pillow I fell into a world of dreams and wonders. A world where I feel loved and have it all made out for me. Where Socs and Greasers don't fight. Where loving is easy and you get to sleep every night in your lovers arms. The bright sun stung my face as I woke up to birds chirping.

          My dream world was crushed when I stared in the mirror at the same clothes I wore last night. Memories flooded from mine and Ponyboys' fight. I know, however mad or jealous we may be, we can solve our problems and make up. We both have our faults. Scratch that, who am I kidding. We've never been in a real fight or disagreement. I'm still mad at him, hurt too.

Just then a second wave of angst flowed into my mind. I told Ponyboy that I like him, and that I may even love him. God, what was I thinking. Today is going to be tense and awkward as ever, and if we don't change that then it'll stay that way.

          I put on a straight silhouette dress with socks and white slippers. I tied a white ribbon in my hair. I look real Socy today. Maybe he'll like me now? I let out a loud pff mocking myself. I ran out the door expecting Pony and Johnny to be walking ahead of my house. Instead they thought better and went early to skip seeing me as a whole.

         I walked my own way as if I didn't care, like the world is mine. This show doesn't last, though. Deep inside I'm still real hurt about what happened. I just hate to show it. Maybe we can make up at school, and everything will be back to normal.

          I arrived to students rushing to class. When I walked into my first period I saw that the seat next to me, Ponyboys seat, is empty. I sat down, confused. He's usually early. When the teacher took role he was marked as absent.

__

          The longer I go without Pony here, the more I miss him. Johnny ain't here either, so I really got nobody to talk to about this. After a bit of thinking, I figure I'll just stop by Pony's house, to clear things up and talk about what happened. Certainly it wouldn't be an apology from me. Sure, I'm still mad, but I cooled off. My minds straight and not spewing words.

          When I opened the door to the Curtis house Soda stood up and Darry bolted his head at me from the phone, "El, do you know where Ponyboy is?" Soda first said with worry.

          "Beats me, I came here to talk to him," I said awkwardly biting my lip knowing Pony might've told Soda what happened last night.

          "The boy ran out on us last night, spent hours searchin' for him and calling people to see where he is" Darry explained with the phone in his shoulder. He went back to talking on the phone and proceeding to hang up and dialed another number from the phone book.