chapter fifteen

__

"Get tough like me, and you don't get hurt

"Get tough like me, and you don't get hurt. Watch out for yourself, and nothing can touch you, man!"

__
P O N Y B O Y

          I FEEL SICK. My head pounded as Dally seemed to hit every crack in the road on our way to see Johnny. I just kinda laid in the seat, my eyes tightly shut trying to take my mind off of the pain. The air was tense, we weren't sure whether to be excited about winning the rumble, sad about Johnny, or exhausted cause of our wounds. Ellie's leg bounced up and down in the backseat quickly, creating a smooth rhythm. She chewed her lip as she focused on the road.

          Nobody said anything, it was just silent. That was until Dal gave me a small lecture about getting tough. He'd end up near tears. I've never seen him like this, showing emotions and being passionate. I looked back and studied everyone's faces.

El's still held a wondrous glow, her cheeks a soft dew. Her jawline had a few scratches with dried blood smeared from the rain and sweat. Her hair fell in strings, sewn together by water. Her red lipstick was now smeared, just a faint tint showed on her lips.

Dallas looked tuff, a few bruises and scratches. He must've taken a few punches, his face had scattered bruises. Sweat beaded on his forehead, his hair the same condition as El's. Glory, his lip. It had a gash and blood dried around the edges of it.

          A cop pulled us over so I had to act sick for an excuse for Dal's speeding. We ended up gaining an escort to the hospital.

E L I Z A B E T H

          My hand shakily opened the door, a buzzed feeling filled my body. I felt like I could barely stand up. Despite the numbness, I ran to Ponyboy to support him up as the cop was still watching. We rushed through the doors and tried getting to Johnnys room as fast as we could. Dallas dropped Ponyboy once the cop was gone, causing us both to nearly fall. The only thing on Dally's mind was getting to Johnny.

          He had told us that Johnny's gotten worse. A knot twisted in my stomach, my throat choked up. I feel like I could puke, not cause I'm sick but out of fear. Fear of seeing Johnny the way he is, fear of this being the last time I see him. I fear not being able to say the right words or do the right things.

          "I'm sorry, but he's dying" A doctor said as we neared Johnnys room. Dallas flicked out Two-Bits switchblade and threatened him. He let us in, not because of the blade.

          We walked in, catching our breaths and calming down a little. The air was flat, not a sound came out. Johnny laid on the bed, now slightly raised on his back. He looked lifeless, either in a deep sleep or dead. I gulped, "Johnnycake?"

          Johnny slightly opened his eyes, shifting out of his current state, "Hey," He weakly said.

          "We won the rumble, stomped them Soc's," Dally blurted, walking over to the side of Johnny. Me and Ponyboy followed in the other side.

          "Useless... fightings no good," He squeaked, not showing even a bit of excitement. He sure did look worse, whiter than a sheet. His hair was matted down and his lips were cracked.

          I stared at my feet, thinking of something to say, "They're still writing editorials in the paper, for Savin those kids," I softly said.

          "Yeah, they're makin' our all the Greasers as hero's. We're all proud of you, buddy." Dallas grinned, all too calmly. He didn't look like he even considered the possibility of Johnny dying. With Dal's smile, Johnnys eyes glistened. His pupils grew at the fact that Dally is proud of him. I know he looks up to him, it was all he ever wanted.

          "Ponyboy, El,"

          We both glanced at eachother and leaned closer so we could hear Johnny. His voice was broken and could barely make a loud enough noise.

          "Stay gold..." He croaked. Then just slightly quieter repeated, "Stay gold."

          His pillow sunk as his eyes fell. He followed the light into heaven. I'm not religious, I never went to church or anything, but I know he went to heaven. Somewhere that he's taken good care of, he deserves it.

          Dallas pushed Johnnys hair back, "Never could keep that hair back... that's what you get for tryin' to help people, you little punk, that's what you get."

          A sob escaped, pure hate and sorrow. He always showed hate, he hated the world. Yet he never showed sadness. He lost the one thing he cared about, the one thing that held hope. He pivoted to the doorframe, "Damnit, Johnny,"

          Tears and sweat dropped down his face as he punched the wall. One thing led to another and he ran straight out the door and down the hall. Ponyboy stood there, paralyzed and unable to do anything. I let out a weak cry and followed Dallas. I let mama die on me, I won't let Dally be next.

          "He's gonna blow!" Pony bawled through tears, catching my hand before I could leave. I shook my head, "I failed my mama, I won't let the same thing happen to Dally."

          I shook his hand away from mine and jogged out the door. I ran into multiple people, catching dirty looks. When I turned the corner I saw Dallas pointing his heater at a doctor.

          "I can do whatever I want."

          Click. Click.

          He saw me standing at the door and he stumbled back, turning to run away, "Dallas Tucker Winston, don't run out on me now!" I cried. I ran to him and tugged on his jacket.

          Then I did what no one ever thought anyone could do to Dallas Winston. I hugged him. My arms were tightly wrapped around him, so that if he tried to run he'd bring me with him.

          "Dallas this ain't what Johnny wants, he doesn't want you to go out and get yourself hurt. Live, for Johnny, for me, for the gang. We need you, I love you, man," I weeped into his chest. He cried in my embrace. For once he listened, Dallas doesn't always get what he wants.

          "This isn't where your story ends, not now. You got so much to do," I rambled out words quickly, "You held on for so long cause of Johnny, so you will stay strong for him, okay?"

          He nodded, placing his hand on my back. He didn't have to speak for me to know he understood. Moments later Ponyboy came out the glass doors to find us crying in the parking lot. He walked towards Dally's car and got in the backseat.

          "Don't give up, I love you, Dal." I whispered, pulling away. He cracked a small smile through his pain, "I love you, too, Ellie."

          "Let's go home, okay?" I softly said and he slightly nodded, going to the car. We both got in and drove home in silence. Complete and utter silence.

__
last minute decision to keep dally alive :')