11: THE NEW AND IMPROVED

☆彡:・;.*:・。

"HEY. SHIFT-SWITCHING TIME. Give me your apron."

I jump at the sudden voice behind me and turn around to see Veronica, who stands with a cloth in her hand and a not-so-happy look on her face. I abruptly stand up from the table and closing the small, hardback textbook over, and begin untying the black apron.
"You still reading that?"

"Yeah, I'm still reading that. Need to have it done before I start back next term." I replied to my parental guardian, helping her tie the strings of the apron. Ever since Svetlana took over the bar, V has had no choice but to work shifts at Pasty's— and Kev made a career out of being a stripper. I don't think he actually stripped but I know he works at that gay bar.

Veronica snatched the book from my hand and I followed her to the front counter.
Fiona was clearing some things up whilst I cleaned my belongings up from the back and slipped the spare, gray t-shirt off my head.

I had to do my fair share of paying bills in the house– after all, because like Veronica stated, I did live there too. Veronica's words— not mine.

"She still reading that textbook?" I hear Fiona ask V. She hands her a notepad as I stuffed my things into my handbag. When I walked back out, holding my hand out for the book, they made a sound that made my constant reading sound like a bad thing.

"All day and night." Veronica rolled her eyes, "Swear, girl's under a spell ever since she started that new school of witchcraft." She accused.
"Oh shut up." I rolled my eyes back at her dramatic self, taking the book from her grasp. I turned to Fiona and handed her the notepad I'd been using to write down orders. "I'm trying to get it out of the way so I can actually enjoy my break," I told her.

I wasn't a nerd. I don't spend my days in a library or doing all my homework, however, the new school I had been enrolled in had made it quite clear how important it was to work on certain topics during the school break. So I was just doing what I was told.
We had a really important paper to submit before we went back: it was critical.

"Heads never out of a damn textbook now. She's constantly up in her room writing or readin!" V talked like I wasn't there.
I sat on the stool with a shake of my head and ignored her statement.
It was an important time at my school, we had examinations to take before we started back and I had to study my ass off to make sure I was prepared as hell.
I was just doing what I was told.

My new school wasn't so bad.
It had taught me so much in the small time I had been there. I was taking a business course that sparked my interest the second I'd went in for the interview.
I, more than the average student, had to work that little extra harder as I had expectations to meet— I was the only girl in there who had a criminal record, so I had to stay on my best behaviour at all times.
One slip up and I was out of that building.
"The hell did they even let you in? How are you paying for it all?" Fiona asked both us girls, who looked at the other to explain.

I hadn't seen Fiona in a while, she was yet to catch up with my last couple months of my 'turning over a new leaf' thing.
That's right, I had made it my goal to be the best possible version of myself this year, yes sir.

"Principal had some sappy story to tell," V waves her off, "Said something about Kylie reminding her of herself when she was young. Wanted to give her a chance." I smile at Fiona who shakes her head at my luck. V continues, "And she gets handed these scholarships like candy. Gets them from volleyball, cheerleading," She lists, impressing Fiona more and more. "You cheer now?"
"Cheer captain, baby." I smirk, not hiding my pride. "Guess being flexible came in handy." I place my leg on the seat next to me, straight as a board.
"Yeah," Fiona slams a couple wet glasses down on the counter, "And I wonder where you got that from." She turns to V with a knowing look. She smiled as Veronica rolled her eyes to the side. "Please, she doesn't even swear anymore, let alone bone anybody."