NINE.

—& ❛CHAPTER NINE

—& ❛CHAPTER NINE.

a    general's   death  

     LIGHTS SWITCHED on and off as she shot at the enemy ships avoiding as many blasts as she could. The general thought she was quite clever when it came to flying. She wasn't the best at it, but she did have a trick or two up her sleeves.

     "General! They are ready to fire!" informed one of the pilots, getting the news from the main bridge.

     "Let's hope it works and this ends soon." she reached her hand to the roof, turning on a switch to increase the volume of the communicator.

     "What do we do till then?" asked another.

     "We hit them with everything we've got."

     The general might not have known what it meant. She didn't dispose of the amount of weaponry they still had left. The data didn't come across to her since sitting in the TIE.

     She made a sharp turn, flying just inches above the surface of a cannon, playing catch with one of the X-Wings. It might have felt like déjà vu, she didn't think much of it. Her finger was standing strong, ready to press a single button and send the ship flying towards the ground in record speed.

     "Listen I won't be able to talk for long!"

     Her grip loosened. Her lips parted and her eyes no longer looked like belonging to a killer. She softened, listening to the voice coming from the headset. Its' odd familiarity, caused her heart to ache and her eyes to water. She hadn't heard it for so long, she worried she'd forget it.

     "Get out of there! Now! You can leave. Go home."

     Her response was being awaited, but she was short of words. Silent. Trapped by her own mind. Her hand still on the button, loose.

     "I won't leave you to die. Not again. I learn from my mistakes."

• • •

     The communications had gone off. It was too late. The minute he had to talk some sense into her, lasted even less than expected. It was her, turning all communications off. The grief of her acts eating her.

     "No! No! No!"

     Poe slammed his fist against the command board. Even the refusal to speak didn't put his hopes down. It disappointed him for a second, before moving to plan B. The Resistance still counted on him as Leia would like to remind him.

     He returned back to the main plan, burning that shit to ashes. He was gonna do it for her. He was going to destroy the cage she had been held in. It was the only escape for her, he thought.

     They shot at the oscillator with everything they had, going deep inside its core. Once it was finally in flames, they triumphantly rose into the sky. It was over. The Galaxy was safe from another planet destroyer.