TEN.

—& ❛ CHAPTER TEN

—& ❛ CHAPTER TEN.
 redemption 

     THE LANDING was rough. The Falcon lead the way and the remaining of the Resistance fleet followed. There might have not been many survivors, but they were coming back as heroes. The victory was celebrated all around the base, the pilots joining them through the intercoms.

     Only Poe stayed silent. The Falcon bothered him. He had to know. He tried reaching their communications, but they ended up being down. There was no other way than to wait for the landing.

     So he did. His X-Wing landed not as close to the Falcon as it should have been, a med crew awaiting for his arrival. The base was in victory as others approached the pilots. Only Poe stayed in his ship after landing.

     He was preparing himself for the worst. He never wondered what it might be like if he actually killed her. The plan was only to make a show, a performance so Finn could sneak her out the ship and bring her home. It was plan B in case she wouldn't do it willingly. But he never considered his friend to get injured.

     The pilot jumped out, ignoring the cheering crowds, all waiting to congratulate him. He'd wave at a couple only to look at BB 8. The droid made a safe return. He patted its' head.

     "Poe! Did you break anything?" asked one of the doctors, suspecting the trip caused an injury.

     "General Organa sent us to make sure you're okay." added another.

     What had been broken, they could not heal. The commander shook his head, glancing at the ground, making a clear decision.

     "I've got to go!"

     He rushed down the landing bay, going towards the path he last saw the Falcon land. His hopes were high. BB 8 followed, beeping continuously, getting no answer. Poe was determined quickly walking past groups and groups of cheering people.

     "But the gen-" argued the doctor, following him.

     "I don't give a damn what the general said!" snapped Poe, facing the woman. "I have someone important to tend to."

     The doctor was left speechless. The commander rebelled. He, himself didn't think it'll come as harsh from his mouth as it did. But it was important.

     He went on his way, passing the empty Falcon. It was already getting major repairs. Rey had an important trip ahead, they could not spear a minute.

     Poe's victory luck turned against him. The next place he'd check was medical quarters. If his luck did work, they'd take her there.

     He ran through the base, rushing into the building. He'd normally stop and ask for directions, but he had little time.

     The room was full of laying patience. People with diseases, breakages, loose of limbs, being tended for burns and so on. Every bed had been filled. The doctors, droids and nurses working their asses off. They didn't get an evening off for victory day.

     The room kept spinning. He checked every face twice, none looked like her.

     "Commander, what are you doing here?" a doctor approached him, a folder in his hand. "You look okay to me. At least not in pieces."

     "Yeah. Doctor I need to see someone," replied Poe, rushing with his words more than the calm doctor.

     "Wow. Wow. Wow. Slow down. Who are you looking for?"

     "She's this tall." Poe described holding his hand couple inches below his forehead. "She's got these huge long curly hair, down her entire back. Oh, and she has birthmarks! Birthmarks on her face. There's this one on her no-"

     "I get it, commander. Thank you." the doctor found it to be silly, at least not appropriate. "She's just done being looked at by a droid. You'll find her next door."

     The pilot made him chuckle, leaving without a thank you. If he ever wished to be a women's charmer, he'd go for a pilot. He did think he'd make a good one, only if he knew how to fly.

     Poe sneaked in. The room was quiet, less in a rush than the previous one. It was for critical patients seeking peace and quiet for their recoveries. The nurses would check on each once or twice an hour, seeking any movement other their lungs.

     Poe gulped, hoping never again to find himself at a place like this.

     His eyes stopped. His heart falling down as he saw it. Her beautiful curled hair laying on a table like a piece of dead meat. It frightened him.

     He approached her, looking down upon her colorless face, hard to watch. He knelt beside her, his eyes locking with hers. With gentle movement, he took her hand in his. It was cold. Harder than he remembered.

     He brought it up to his lips, holding onto it tightly. He gave it a single, long kiss, wishing it'll magically warm up. His eyes teared, knowing he got her there, on that stone-cold butcher's table. Reliving the grief of her death, again.

     "They're so peaceful when asleep."

     Poe looked up. General Organa stood behind him, smiling at her heroic pilot. She'd come to congratulate him.

     "General I'm so sor-"

     "I know, kid."

     She shut her eyes for a second, the word reminding her too much of her dear husband. No wishing for him to be there could make it happen. Poe's eyes went back to the lying girl, thinking her fist clenched around his hand.

     "I've come to congratulate you. It was very brave. What you did out there today," smiled the general. "Both."

     "It wouldn't have been if it wasn't for you." the pilot smiled up at the general, unable to take all the credit. It was she who lead them.

     "However, I would advise you not to repeat it again. Behind my back."

     "Understood."

     The general agreed. She rested her hand on his shoulder, comforting him. She knew very well what it meant staying at someone's death bed. Han gave her the pleasure one too many times. She walked off, leaving him to it. It was what he wanted. At times she admired his brave heart and reckless mind. Qualities of a good pilot.

     "We have a wake-up!" shouted a nurse, all the doctors in the room, running past Leia.

     It forced the general to smile, unclenching her fist. The pilot got what he wished, she just gave him a little push.

—& published on apr. 13. 2020.

 2020