Marks of the Past

"Dad... Dad? DAD WAKE UP!" Neal bounced up and down on his parents bed. "Christopher! Deal with your son...."Molly muffled lying face first in her pillow. "Don't want to." Christopher ,also his face covered by a pillow , said. "DAD ! GET UP OLD MAN!" Neal threw himself on Chris. "OW! Neal we talked about this!" Chris wrapped his arms around Neal holding him tightly. "I wouldn't have to do this if you woke up early!" Neal said nuzzling against his fathers chest. "Did you tell me I was old? Can a old person do this!" Chris shot up, throwing Neal over his shoulders. "NO PUT ME DOWN!" Neal laughed, kicking his feet in the air. "Both of you please shut up!" Molly threw her pillow at them, hitting Chris in the face. "Mom, you shouldn't hit people with things!" Neal stuck his tongue at his mother. "She's just a big old meany!" Chris said earning another pillow hurled at him from his wife. "Get out if you two are going to continue bothering me!" Molly gritted between her teeth, pulling the blanket over top of her. "Let's go Neal! We need to get prepared for our big day out!" Neal was lowered to ground by his father, the two took of to the bathroom as if they were in a race. "I WIN!" Chris cheered, beating Neal by near seconds. "Not fair! You have taller legs than me!" Neal protested. "You'll get tall one day." Chris tickled his sons ribs, Neal giggled swatting his dads hands away. "Go brush your teeth, or your mother will kill me!"
"Neal? Hey wake up kiddo!" Neal opened his eyes slightly, his body was lying in a uncomfortable position, his whole body was pressed up against the wall that was Finn's chest. Neal completely opened his eyes, he must have fell asleep sometime after the bookstore, he was still in Finn's warm chest pocket. "Why did you wake me?" Neal yawned. "We're home. We're you dreaming?" Finn asked. "Ya, but it was just about a creepy clown or something." Neal lied. "I hate clowns!" Finn shuddered, stopping the car. "Funny, I'll keep that in mind for any future pranks." Neal said stretching his arms. "If I am ever pranked by you with any form of sick clown joke, your going to be sorry!" Finn plucked Neal from his pocket, dangling the child before his face. "What are you going to do?" Neal asked. "I'll just show you." Finn opened his mouth, he held Neal over it threatening to drop him in. "OKAY! OKAY! NO CLOWN PRANKS!" Neal screamed. Finn shut his jaw smiling. "Good!" Finn loved pretending to be evil sometimes. Neal kind of missed these kind of fun moments with his father. However, no one was able to ever heal the pain they cause Neal when the times he recalls those fond memories.
"Eww dad your so gross!" Neal gagged. His father gurgled the water in his mouth. Chris spit out the mixture of water and toothpastes in the sink. "Whats gross?" Drops of spit flew when he spoke. "Dad clean your mouth off!" Neal handed him a wash cloth. "Which movie are we seeing again. Power Officers or something?" Neal finished brushing his teeth, he took his brush out looking at his father with a annoyed look. " for the tenth time, Power Rangers!" Neal yelled. "Those are the guys who live in the sewers and fight ninjas right?" Chris scratched his head acting confused. "Oh my gosh NO! That's Ninja Turtles! The one we're seeing is Power Rangers!" Neal screamed getting heated. "Oh I remember! There the ones who team up together and fight the guy with the spear who is the brother of the superhero with the hammer." Chris saw Neal on the verge of bursting. "I know what your doing!" Neal poked his fathers chest. "Doing what?" Chris smirked. "Your doing that thing!" Neal growled. "What thing?" Neal tried  kept a serous face, but he wasn't able to hold it for long. He grew a smile, letting out a laugh. "I love you dad." Neal hugged his dad. "Love you too. Even if I'm a goofball?" Chris asked. "Definitely if your goofball!"
"And he said Billy if your going to act like a baby you might as well put on a pair diapers!" Finn went on about his one his cousins. "Are you even paying attention?" Finn asked Neal. "What? Oh ya sorry. Just had something on my mind." Neal lied back down next to Finn. The two were sitting on the couch exchanging stories. "Trying to decide what story you want to tell?" Finn picked Neal, he stretched his body  along the couch. Finn let Neal rest on his huge chest. "I got one." Neal said. "Let's here it!" Finn said. "Once me and my parents went on a vacation to the beach. We were all suppose to seat together on the plane, but somehow we all got switched up. Me being the nervous wreck as usually became highly anxious. My dad and mom had seats far away from me. I was left alone sitting next to some scary looking man. His breath smelled like cigarettes, his teeth were yellow and he was really big! I got so scared of him, and nervous being alone, I vomited all over him! Thankfully he was willing to switch seats with my dad." Neal finished his horrifying story. "Now my story of throwing up those burgers is nothing compared to that!" Finn said. "Mine was a accident! You throwing up was your own fault!" Neal laughed. "It was not!" Neal was pocked in the ribs by Finn, the child giggled. "Are you ticklish?" Finn once again poked Neal in the side. "I am not ticklish!" Neal took a few steps back from Finn, he could see the wheels turning in Finn's head. "F... Finn just stay away, I swear if you... HAHAHA!" Neal was pushed down by one Finn's finger. The giant tickled the sides of Neal. "Please I'll do anything! NO NOT THE ARMPITS!" Neal cried tears. "I can't hear you over all the screaming!" Finn laughed. "I'M GOING TO PEE MYSELF!" Neal punched Finn's fingers. "If I get peed on Neal your going to get it!" Finn said. "What?! That's not nearly as bad being almost eating!" Neal let a sigh of relief once the tickling stopped. "That was a accident!" Finn defended. "Sure it was! You know what the worst part was?! I smelled your disgusting mouth! Have you ever heard of mouth wash?!" Neal stood up crossing his arms. "My mouth does not smell! Here take a whiff!" Finn blow out a breath, Neal eyes watered from the mighty stench that burned his nostrils. He coughed losing his balance, Neal fell off of Finn's chest and slid down the giants side. He landed between the giants arm and Finn's armpit. Neal had a thought come to his mind. He stood up on his too toes, he ticked the giant with his fingers.Neal smiled of victory when Finn who's body erupted with laughter. The ground shook under Neal, Finn was practically crying, Finn danced around in the couch trying to grab Neal. "I SURRENDER! PLEASE!" Finn begged for mercy. "Heck no! This is revenge for the peanut butter on my face  and almost eating me!" Neal moved over to Finn's side continuing his revenge. "NEAL HAHAHAHA! LISTEN TO ME! I AM GOING TO FART!" Finn hoped it was enough to stop Neal. His hopes came true, Neal stopped climbing back up on Finn's chest. Both were out of breath due to there heavy laughter. "Truce?" Neal smiled holding out his hand. "Truce." Finn took two of his fingers, and shook Neal's tiny hand. "JUST KIDDING!" Finn shouted. The giant threw Neal high in the air, catching the boy in his palms. "FINN! AAAAAAH!" Neal screamed being tossed around like a doll. "I'm going to get sick!" Neal put his hand over his mouth. "FINN REALLY STOP!" Neal shouted very seriously. Finn stopped throwing Neal around, be held the little boy in a open hand. "Do you need anything?" Finn cautiously moved Neal up to his face. "I... I think... you've been tricked!" Neal jumped up from Finn's hand. He jumped up grabbing a hold of Finn's noise. He tickled the bottom of Finn's noise. "THATS SO IT!" Finn grabbed Neal in a fist. "IS THIS WAR THAN?" Neal smirked. "LET THE BATTLE BEGAN!" Finn shouted like a warrior going to battle.
"Hurry up or we're going to be late!" Neal pulled on Chris's arm trying to move him from the chair. "Give me second Neal!" Chris yelled attempting to put his last shoe on. "Christopher, if he acts like he is the boss all day you bring him home right away!" Molly took a sip of her black coffee, enjoying the delicious taste. "Molly he's a kid, let him be exited!" Chris stood up from his seat, he grabbed a scarf off the coat hanger. "I don't need this!" Neal mumbled as Chris wrapped it around him. "Yes you do mister! I'm sure you don't want to catch a cold!" Chris patted Neal on the back. "We're heading off Molly. Take care of yourself sweetie." Chris kissed the side of his wife's face. "By mom!" Neal shouted running out the door. "I love you." Molly grabbed Chris's hand given it a loving kiss. "DAD HURRY UP!" Chris pulled away from Molly giving her a last smile before he leaves. "Have a good time." Molly said. "We will." Chris waved her goodbye before he left the house.
Molly stared down at the papers on her desk. It was a long day of busy paper work, the least fun part of her job. In addition, working in a hospital was not a easy task. Though it wasn't that she hated her job, it was just that it required a large load of hard work from her. Molly grabbed out a pen filling out several forms dealing with a sorts of stuff. Molly checked her watch, she huffed waiting for the last 5 minutes of her shift to end. Molly ran her fingers through her hair resting her eyes for a few moments. It was rare for her to have a moment to herself. The entire workplace was nearly empty, there were only a couple of people walking in and out. The silence was a nice change .When she was married to Christopher the man never stopped talking, much like Neal. That's when Neal use to be talkative. Her little moment of silence is cut short when her cell phone makes a ding sound. Molly picks up her phone, she received a text from David telling her he's waiting outside. Molly tossed the phone in her purse, she pushes herself up from the chair. Outside on the left of the human hospital was a gigantic version of the human one. There were two parking lots one filled with normal sized cars and those who belonged to the giants. The darkness in the sky had taken over, the stars shined brightly, Molly couldn't but wonder up at them. "It's a beautiful night." Molly jumped at the relax voice behind her. She turned around, there was David gazing up to sky with his hands in his pockets. "Sure is." Molly sighed. "I just noticed something." David lightly chuckled. "And what is that?" She asked. "There is not one single star that entire sky that is as beautiful as you." Molly blushed at David. "I got a surprise for Neal today." David bent down opening his up for her. Molly's blush faded at the mention of her sons name. "A surprise? What kind of a surprise?" She asked holding his thumb while he lifts her up. "You know the bedroom you told me to get him?" David ask. "Yes." Molly nodded. "As I was looking for that one, I found one that was a lot bigger and way cooler!" David said. Molly didn't seem to be happy about that. "David I thought we said we were not going to spoil him." Molly tried not to sound angry. "I know, but it's a new house, a new world for him, I really want him to feel comfortable and welcomed." David got in his car, he put Molly in the cup holder. "I understand David. Make sure this is the last time he gets a special gift from you. We can't let him think he can have everything he wants or it will lead to bad things." Molly said. "What could happen if the kid gets spoiled once in a while?" David asked, his old car making all of sorts of noises with every movement. "You have no idea." Molly coldly whispered to herself.
"Extra butter."Chris told cashier at the popcorn stand. "My goodness Molly is legit going to kill me if she finds out." Chris whispers. "What was that sir?" The cashier asked. "N... nothing sir." Chris fixes the falling glasses on his face. "And a large cherry coke please!" Neal demanded rudely. "Neal!" Chris hissed. Neal looked down shameful, he says a quiet 'Sorry'. "Would you still want the cherry Coke sir?" Chris wanted to deny the beverage for his son. But it was their day out, no need to ruin it because of one little thing. "Yes please." Chris orders handing the cashier his debit card. "Thank you dad." Neal gave Chris a small a hug. "Act with manners next time." Chris firmly said. The child hated making his dad upset. He continued to remain silence. "Hey it's our day out! Where's all that energy from this morning!" Chris wondered. Neal cracked a smile, "Once I drink all that coke I'll have all the energy in the world!" Neal said. "That's what I'm afraid of." Chris chuckled. The father and son grabbed all their snacks, they walked in a empty theater. "Big crowd." Chris said eating the popcorn as they journeyed up the steps. "Guess all these people are missing the best movie of the year!" Neal jumped in his seat. "The best of the year?! Kid that's the craziest statement of the year!"Chris took his seat letting out the recliner. "If I fall asleep, smack me." The father joked. "I'm sure you won't fall asleep. It's going to be action packed with fights, explosions, and hot girls!" "NEAL!" Chris warned. "But that's what you say with your friends when guys always watch one of those sports commercials." Neal shrank in his seat. "I... I... Only adults are allowed to say stuff like that!" Chris did his best to come up with a excuse. "Okay, I promise not to talk like that! Pinkie promise!" Neal and Chris attached both of their of pinkie fingers. "Look it's starting!" Neal pointed to the screen. Chris leaned back, the lights dimmed and the movie began to play.
"Did I do something wrong? You've been quiet the whole ride home." Molly cleared her mind. "Of course not!" Molly said. David was police officer, he could tell when someone was lying. It was like a superpower he had possessed. "Neals going to like the room I got him. It's all set up and everything." David stared out the car's front window. "David did Finn take Neal out today?" Molly growled more to herself than David. "Not sure. Why?" David asked. "We're friends on social media and he said 'had a amazing day with this little guy! We went out to movies, lunch and even the bookstore.' There is a picture of him and Neal." Molly anger built up in her. Neal knew better than to have others do stuff  for him. It was her job to punish him. Molly knows what she has to do if she wants Neal to understand her rules. Molly and David returned home, Molly sat in David's chest pocket while he carried a big heave box. "Shhh do you hear that?" Molly said. "Hear what?" David unlocked the front door. "SURRENDER NEAL!" Finn boomed. "Oh that." David was confused to see Finn holding a sock with what looked like a person inside it. "I WOULD RATHER DIE!" Neal coughed violently. "DEATH IT IS!" Finn tied the top of sock in a knot. David cleared his throat grabbing Finn's attention. "Dad your home!" Finn hid the sock behind his back. "What on earth is going on here?" David asked putting the box on the couch. He wasn't sure if wanted to know what was happing between Finn and Neal. "We... we're having a tickle fight... than it turned to a full blown war." Finn rubbed the back of his neck nervously chuckling. "Hold up is Neal in your sock?!" David ask. "YES!" Neal yelled. "Finn take him out! We have a little surprise for him." Finn untied the sock grabbing Neal out of it. "FRESH AIR!" Neal gasped. "Soap,clean socks,keep that in mind Finn!" Neal coughed. "Neal we have a something for you." David smiled, Finn took Neal over to the box. "You got something for me?" Neal asked. "Yes for you buddy!" David chuckled. "Close your eyes." David told him. Finn helped Neal out by covering the boys eyes with his finger. Neal listened to the box be ripped opened. "Okay look!" Finn removed his finger. "Oh... oh my gosh." Neal covered his mouth at a doll like bedroom, it had four walls, and a rooftop that could be opened and closed. "Go look inside!" Finn pushed Neal to the house. "I would like to see this room as well." Molly said. Neal opened the door to the bedroom. The inside was painted a gorges ocean blue, a queen size bed, there were bookshelves along the wall filled with all of his old books, a long dresser that had all his clothes in, there were posters of everything he loved on the wall, a new DVD player hooked to a large tv on the shelf in front of his bed. But the his favorite part was the picture framed of him and his father on Neal's bookshelf. Neal loves everything he saw in the room, there was even a little room that had a bathroom in it. This bedroom was far superior than his old one. "Pretty nice isn't it?" Molly said coming in. "Mom it's gorgeous!" Neal said. "It surly is." She kept her arm's crossed at all times. "Neal we need to talk about something later." She hissed. "O... okay." He stuttered. Whenever she had to talk to him later, it meant something bad. Neal bolted out of the room hugging Finn's hand. "THANK YOU I LOVE IT!" Neal blushed. "AND THANK YOU TOO!" Neal hugged the bridge of David's noise when the giant tilt head closer to Neal. "We're glad you like it!" Neal climbed on David's nose holding on it tight. David lifted his head back up, Neal hugged David like a good friend. Yet something made the happy feeling go away. It wasn't right, he couldn't feel this way. David wasn't his friend, or his family. Neal felt wrong. If he loved David like a father, what he would be saying to the one he lost?
Neal's bedroom was placed outside of Finn's bedroom. Neal could now easily get in and out of the hallway without the need of a giant. For the reminder of the night the family had dinner, began to watch part of a movie. David noticed it was getting late and everyone should probably be heading to bed. David turned off the movie, Neal barely noticed. The child was completely snuggled up to Finn. "Neal time for bed buddy." Finn said. "Don't want to." Neal groaned. "Yes you do. Your half way asleep buddy. Plus me and you have school in the morning." Finn picked up Neal. "Please don't remind me." Neal said. "David can you take me to Neal's room. Me and him need to have a talk about something." Molly said. "Sure, come to bed when your ready." David picked up Molly. The giant men took the humans to Neal's bedroom. "Goodnight Neal, sleep tight." Finn rubbed Neal's back. "Night kiddo." David smiled. Molly and Neal were put on the ground. They entered the bedroom. "Neal seat down please." Molly ordered. "M... mom I..." Neal tried to talk. "SEAT DOWN!" She barked. Neal fell on his bed, his whole body began to shake. "Neal, it's a new house, a new family, but the same rules. Please tell me why you broke those rules." Molly had her back to her son. Her voice dropped like venom. "Mom please I never..." Neal received a hard slap to the face. "Yes, you did Neal. I know what you did today." She laughed, but not in a funny way. "Finn posted a picture of you two on social media today. Neal, were you planning on telling me you went out today?" She asked. "I was going to tell you I swear!" Molly didn't believe him. She once again slapped him in the face. "Don't you dare lie to me!" She growled. "I'm sorry, I won't ask him to do anything again, I swear!" Neal cried quietly. "Very good, now listen to me good. If I ever see you ask David and Finn to take you out again, or by you anything I won't be so kind." She grabbed his face, digging her nails in his skin. "Neal you don't deserve anything. Your pathetic, whiny, a burden, and the reason your father is dead. Your a waist of air. It's a real shame your didn't die along side your father." She pushed him to him to the ground. "Go to bed. You have school in the morning." Molly left Neal alone. The boy didn't hate his mother at all. She was correct, everything she said he believed. He was the reason his father died. Neal climbed in bed. His mother's words spun through his mind as he slept.
"Two out of 5 stars! Worst movie of the year!" Chris said. "Hate to agree with you, but it sucked! A insult to the original series!" Neal was disappointed at the movie he witnessed. "At least we are going to the book store right?" Neal smiled. "About that..." Chris said. "Dad you promised." Neal whined. "I know buddy, but your mother told us we need to watch are money, plus we're going out to eat." Chris knew a temper tantrum was on the rise. "DAD YOU SAID YOU WERE TAKING ME!" Neal angry yelled. "Neal calm down! We can go a different time!" Chris yelled. "NO I WANT TO GO TODAY!" Neal kicked. "NEAL SHUT UP!" Chris screamed. "I HATE YOU, I HATE YOU! I... DAD WATCH OUT!" Neal screamed. Chris was to busy watching his son than the road. A semi came at them, Chris tried to avoid it, unfortunately he was unable to dodge it completely. The car was hit, and flipped over several times in a violent manner. It came to a stop, everything was smashed. Blood oozed down Neal's face. "Dad?" Neal coughed. "Dad? DAD!" Neal cried. Chris face and head  was covered in blood. "DAD! DAAAA...."
"DAAAAD!" Neal screamed jumping from his bed. He felt like throwing up, but kept it down. Neal lied back down panting like a dog. The poor child heart raced rapidly. Tears were coming out his face, he wanted his father back. But it was impossible, he's dead and it was all his fault. Neal tried to fall back to sleep, but failed too. He decided to get out of bed. He walked out of his room, Neal was thankful to see Finn's door open. He tip toad in there listening the mighty snoring. He walked around the bed to Finn's side. Neal built the courage to speak. "Finn? Finn please wake up." Neal whimpered. "H... Huh?" Finn's groggy voice said. "Down here."
Neal quietly said. "Neal? Bud it's late why aren't you in bed?" Finn rubbed his eyes. "I... had a dream. A really bad one." Neal held the tears. "Can I stay in here with you?" Neal asked, his lower lip trembled. "Ya of course." Once Neal was picked up he let the tears  pour. "Hey... shhhhhh. It's okay I got you. Everything is fine." Finn cooed. "I want my dad back." Neal cried hiding his face in Finn's chest. "I know Neal." Finn sighed. Neal cried for a while until they both fell asleep.