Chapter 2

I jumped out of my seat and looked at the unconscious girl in alarm. She was hanging upside down with her foot tied to a rope, and large sandbags were lying on the floor with rubble from my ceiling. I slowly walked over to her, unsure of what to do as she let out a low groan.

The next thing I knew, my door opened as a short girl with bright yellow hair dressed as a poor man from the 1700s barged right into my dorm and rushed to the dark-skinned girl's side.

"Iris! Iris, are you alright?" She asked, shaking the unconscious girl's head.

The girl named Iris didn't move a muscle.

"Come on, Iris. We need our traveler for the pitch," the blonde girl said. "We can't have you knocked out right -"

"Excuse me," I finally said. "What are you doing here, and why is there a giant hole in my ceiling?!"

The little girl finally noticed me and gave me a nervous chuckle.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," she said. "We didn't mean to destroy your ceiling. We're just working on our pitch for our play in the dorm above you. Iris here is our set designer and tech person, and she was adjusting the lights when she fell off the ladder and fell right through the floor with one of the ropes tied around her foot."

I stared at her, still alarmed with what just happened.

"Adjusting the lights?" I asked.

"That's right," the girl confirmed. "Since we don't have a theater to work on our project, we made our own stage."

"Bonnie!" Said a voice above us.

The girl named Bonnie looked up from the hall, and I hesitantly walked over and looked up to find a girl with dark brown hair, another girl with light brown hair, a third girl with blue hair, and a guy with dark auburn hair all looking down from above the hole. Everyone up there was looking at the unconscious girl worriedly except for the girl with the dark brown hair who was looking impatient.

"I'm afraid it looks like she's down for the count, Giselle," Bonnie answered sadly.

My eyes widened as I realized that the girl with the dark brown hair is the playwright named Giselle, who Andy mentioned earlier.

"Well, that's just fantastic," Giselle growled. "We need to get everything done before the Beginning of the School Year ball, and now our person playing the traveler is now unconscious."

The rest of the group frowned, worried about their dilemma.

"Oh, it's no big deal," Bonnie says optimistically. "We'll just find someone else to read the part."

"Oh, don't be ridiculous," Giselle rebuked. "Where in heaven's name are we going to find someone willing to read the role of the lonely traveler?"

Everyone else in the group said words of agreement. Bonnie thought about it until she turned to me and smiled.

"Why not her?" She suggested.

"Me?" I asked.

Giselle turned to me and gave a skeptical look while the rest of the group thought about it.

"It is short notice, but it could work as long as she's just reading the part," the guy said. "We'll tinker with the play with this girl standing in, and we can fill Iris in once she comes to."

"That does should plausible," the blue-haired girl agreed.

The girl with the light brown hair nodded and looked down to give me a pleading look.

"Miss, I know we just met and all, but would you be willing to step in for our friend?"

I looked at her bewildered, unable to believe she asked that.