I Can't Lose Her - Eretria (The Shannara Chronicles)

Requested : "An Eretria x reader where the reader is Amberle's sister and was in a relationship with Eretria. They are separated, but they meet each other again and it ends in some fluff."

We're gonna pretend like Amberle's father isn't dead and that he is the king. So basically her grandfather doesn't exist.

-

I tiptoed quietly through the palace hallway and snuck out the back doors. Technically I wasn't allowed to be outside the palace doors alone, but there's no way I could risk letting a guard follow me. Plus, I wasn't exactly someone you'd call a rule follower and what I was doing now was definitely against the rules. And, trust me, although my father is the king, I would be punished harshly for it, if I were to be caught.

"Ah, finally... midnight." The guard outside the kingdom's gate whispered to himself. He turned around and came back inside the palace walls, searching for his replacement since his shift was over. I stood quietly with my back pressed against the wall and held my breath as he strolled passed. The clinking of his chainmail armor eventually resided and I took that as my queue to slip out into the forest, outside of my kingdom's domain.

If I, a princess, were to be caught outside my father's territory by someone not of my kingdom, they would most likely either kidnap me or kill me. A king's family members are considered to be extremely valuable, if not as valuable as the king himself. Knowing my father, however, I wouldn't be worth even a single coin of gold. He only loved my sister, Amberle. I was just a disappointment. But, of course, all those creepy scoundrels wandering through the forest didn't know that. They see a young girl who resembles the king and their eyes are immediately blinded by riches.

This is one of the main reasons I had to be extremely careful in the woods. Well, along with all the dangerous mythical creatures lurking in the shadows. On top of all that, it didn't help that it was pitch black outside. I suppose it's a good thing I've travelled this same path hundreds of times before. If I hadn't, I'm positive I would've already tripped over a bush or something by now. I know because that's exactly what I did the first time I entered these woods, a few years ago.

-

As I was nearing my destination, I heard a twig snap in the distance. Out of surprise, I turned swiftly to look behind me. I couldn't tell what direction the noise came from, but I didn't see anything close behind me. Again, it was pitch black outside and I could barely even see my own feet, but there was no movement coming from that direction. So, I turned around, brushing it off as an animal and continued on my way.

I walked up to a large oak tree that I easily recognized from its great size and took a sharp turn, remembering the path to my destination. I was getting close. As I passed the tree, I heard something rustle on the other side of it and didn't have time to react when someone placed their hand over my mouth and wrapped their arms around my neck from behind.

Shocked, I quickly spun around and readied myself for a fight with my fists raised. Before I could do any damage, they placed their hands over mine and I froze. I finally got a good look at their face and I nearly yelled, "Jesus, you scared me!"

The moon peeked from beyond the clouds, allowing me to see her smirk. "Sorry." She was wearing her classic orange leather jacket and green cargo pants. The black hair on the left side of her head was pulled into tight braids while the remaining hair was free to cascade down her shoulders. She looked exceptionally beautiful, especially for a Rover.

While I was busy admiring her, she tugged on the waist of my pants and pulled me into her as she leaned herself back against the tree. I gasped and braced myself by placing my hands on her shoulders. Our noses were nearly touching and she bit her lip at how close we were. I was lost in her brown eyes that were glowing from the moonlight.