Was It All Just a Lie? - Tori Kelly

Requested by Ultima_Kristal : "Can you do a Tori Kelly one?" This is suuuuuper late but life has been pretty crazy lately. I can't wait for this year to be over finally.

Fair warning, I know absolutely nothing about record labels and producers and stuff so this is mostly made up.

"Hello?" I sat up from the couch in my new apartment in LA, answering my cell phone.

"Hello, is this Y/N L/N?" A woman asked.

"Yes, this is she." I responded, wondering where this was leading.

"Hello Ms. L/N, I was calling you back about the internship you applied for earlier this month." She paused and I quickly confirmed that I knew what she was talking about. "Our main producer would love to meet with you and possibly present you with an opportunity to work on a project." I froze for a second, struck speechless by the woman's words. "...Are you still there?" She asked after the line went silent for a few seconds.

"Yes! Yes I'm still here, sorry..." I nearly shouted, almost like I was afraid she might take back her words. "I would love to meet with him. When should I plan to be there?" My voice was anxious with anticipation. A chance to make music with a well-known producer under a huge record label, how could I pass up this once-in-a-lifetime offer?

"He requested that you meet with him as soon as possible. Would 9:30 work for you?"

I didn't even look at the time before immediately replying, "Yes, that's perfect!"

"Great! He will see you then." She replied formally.

"Awesome, thank you so much! Have a great day!" I finished and my cheerful energy seemed to rub off on the woman since she answered 'you too!' with the same amount of enthusiasm.

The call ended and I placed my phone on the arm of the couch, finally allowing myself to breathe. This is surreal. All my life I have dreamed of being a music producer and spent so much time and energy searching for an opportunity like this. For a while I didn't think it would ever happen and nearly gave up on my dream, convincing myself it wasn't meant to be. That is, until I saw the internship at Capitol Records and decided to take one final risk, even moving out to LA by myself.

Now, everything was finally starting to pay off. I had my first big opportunity that started in... 25 MINUTES?! It was already 9:05 and the drive to the Capitol Records building was at least 10 minutes, not counting LA traffic. There's no way I could be late for this, that would be a horrible first impression.

With that in mind, I jumped up from my couch and ran into the bathroom, starting the shower and throwing clothes together. Here's to hoping that today was the one day everyone in LA decided to walk...

-

9:28

I looked up from my watch and made eye contact with the woman I was on the phone with earlier. "I'm here for the internship." My breathing was labored after running a few blocks since the parking spaces nearby were all full.

"Ah yes, Ms. L/N?" She looked at me and I nodded my head with a polite smile. "Mr. Barnett will see you." She pointed to an office down the hall, but I was still stuck on her words. Mr. Barnett. As in the CEO of Capitol Records, Mr. Barnett? There's no way...

I shook off my surprise and thanked the woman again before starting my way down the hall. Now that I wasn't in such a hurry, I allowed myself to bask in the beauty surrounding me. The inside of the building looked extremely expensive with frames of famous records and awards lining the walls. It was really a sight to see.