Chapter 2.

I looked at him, and I mean really looked at him. He was nervous, his hands were practically twitching in his lap. If It was one thing I knew from just his appearance alone was that he wasn't very straight forward. I'm not just talking about in conversations like the one we were having a the moment either. Though I wouldn't even call this a conversation since he was doing the talking and I was doing my homework. Just as he opened his mouth again, I quickly shut him up, knowing what was coming.

"Don't ask about marrying my mom." It may have been harsh, what I said, but I knew what I was doing. "It's not my decision. If I was completely opposed, you would've known. She can take care of herself."

"So don't ask. But get this memorized: you are not my dad, you are her husband. Point blank period. Husband. Not a leach. Not a master. I hear otherwise, you'll deal with me. Are we clear?" I laid everything down in front of him. He didn't speak for a moment, just looked at me wide eye'd before nodding. I raised an eyebrow at him and he shook his head with more force and meaning. "Good." I gave him a dismissive nod. "Thanks for the cookies." Then shoved one into my mouth as I leaned back and got started on my Human Geology homework.

~

The sun blared in through the window and hit my eyes, waking me up and making my day start out bad already. At least, it was bad until I remember it was the last month of school. I had only a few more exams to take till I was out of there. I could finally be free of that place that held so many memories, ones that hurt to think about.

Me and my mom had moved to this town the year I started high school, so it was an all new place for me in freshman year. For most the people there though, it was just the matter of transferring from the Jr. building to the High school building down the street. I'd done great in school, I have always had a knack for it. I was no genius. Though, if someone wanted, they could probably classify me as a nerd. But I had my standards I set for myself in every grade.

When sophomore year came around, I was used to the school. I knew the teachers, though I kept away from the students as I didn't want to get in the wrong crowds. Me and the principle became the best of friends (note the sarcasm) because I was in there so often. Though I did end up becoming his favorite student because of my grades, I was practically the teachers pet to him, and because of that I never got in too much trouble if I skipped. Which, in sophomore year, I did an extreme amount of. I always had a knack for science, though I purposefully skipped the contests or would just enter my stuff in anonymously.

That is the year I also noticed a certain Black haired, green eye'd girl. She, like me, was into school work. Although, unlike me, she liked to put her name into whatever contests she entered, she even ran for class president. This girl had intrigued me, not with her looks, but with the way she carried herself and the groups she hung around.

She was best friends with the art club, the drama club and was even on the dance team. I saw her working with the school newspaper as the photographer, and I saw her at every sports event. Though every time I saw her, something was missing in her eyes, like she wasn't all the way there.

~

'Mr. Brighton to the Principals office.' I heard my name called over the loud speaker. This was the third time this week that it occurred. Though, I knew what it was for, and everybody else assumed the opposite.

'Yeah man, what'd you do this time?' someone asked and reached for a high five I just shrugged and slapped hands with him as I went by.

'Here we go again,' I heard some girls say to one another as I made my way to the front of the class.