• ━ • 8: Offer • ━ •

Your pov

"Hey, (y/n), could you help me grab the novels by Fredrich Von Arthur?" The librarian inquired, being a tad bit preoccupied with her workload at the moment. Curious of the name, I inquired who this person was. "Arthur is a very prominent author of this age, he has made plenty of advancements within the magical world. He's one of the few known S rank mages. Specializing in the wind arts, though not much is known about him currently. His most recent novel, Hurricane, was published three years ago." the librarian informed me. Her admiration for this mage was noticeable, her eyes seemed to glisten at the mere thought of Arthur.

"That's odd, no one seems to mention his name, this is my first time hearing him," I stated, pulling out the novels from a nearby cart. After the announcement of the competition, which I had reluctantly chose to approve of. The library was a complete mess, partially responsible for it, I was helping out the librarian with the cleanup. Not like I wouldn't have helped her otherwise, but now I felt liable for any damage caused.

"Ah, well, he was rather... controversial, after he refused the hand of the king's daughter, and made a public speech about how humans were disgusting beings. He was cast into the shadows, but those of us who still remember him, see him as the builder of bridges. But not much is known about his whereabouts, not even among the magic council." the librarian informed me.

"But doesn't the magic council know about the whereabouts of every S rank mage, in case something bad were to happen?" I inquired. In the background, while I spoke with the librarian, Hanami was moving stuff around. Sometimes stopping to fool around, but mostly they were trying to help organize the books. Although, I'm not sure if they can even understand the human language. 

"They should, but they don't. According to what has been publicly announced, Arthur's whereabouts are unknown, the tracking system isn't able to find him." 

"Could it be that he's using the winds to confuse the tracking system?" I asked. 

"That's highly possible, and something he could easily manage. But the council's system is supposed to be impossible to interfere with." the librarian hummed, contemplating on this thought. It did seem farfetched, but for an S-rank mage who specializes in wind magic, this matter isn't highly coveted. Shocking really, since wind users are quite uncommon, with water and earth being the most common among mages. 

"Well, every system has its flaws, it might be good that he hasn't been found yet. Going against the king's wishes and speaking so lowly of humans, will surely be a death sentence." I remarked, by 'humans', I was referring to those born without magic. Mainly several of the royalties, who by divine right, should have magic powers, but after an incident where a line of tyrants was produced. Most royalties had their magic privileges revoked, causing somewhat a distaste for mages. But moving that matter aside, I wondered if my repairing spell could fix the system. Maybe, but perhaps Arthur just wants his privacy. Respectable.

"Ah, Ismene, there you are! I'm terribly sorry to interrupt you at the moment, but we desperately need your assistance. One of our formulas went haywire, causing many of the students' books becoming demented monsters!" A male, dressed in black robes, signifying that he was one of the teachers, came rushing in. Immediately putting down a book that she was reading, Ismene, the librarian that- I realized I never actually asked for her name-, rushed towards the teacher's classroom, staff in hand. The male quickly turned to me, apologizing, before rushing after her. The distant sounds of magic spells being cast echoed back into the library. Huh.

"Alright, Hanami help me gather all the books under this person's name," I said, pointing toward Arthur's name. The three nodded, bouncing towards the bookshelves, stacking on top of one another to grab books from 'high' places. Ismene soon returned, a little drained from whatever had occurred. 

"This is like the 6th time this week! How can people mess up on their calculations?" she muttered to herself, reverting to her well-mannered state.

"Who was that man?" I asked, flipping through books, fixing any pages that were even slightly torn.

"Oh! That was Professor Lineage, he's the Calculation Professor in this school. First years are required to take his class, pass it, in order to move onto potions, then alchemy if they choose to." Ismene informed me. She picked up the book she was looking through, before she was interrupted, using the same repairing spell to fix any damages done. The book she was looking through was handled terribly, the spine was falling apart, pages flimsy to the touch, and... cake frosting? What do people do with these books?!

"Is... Is demented book monsters a norm around here?" I asked, hearing her groan, that was already enough of an answer.

"Yes, no matter the rank, there's always one student that gets the calculations wrong, turning something into a monster," she responded.

"Well, at least it's good that those students need to pass Calculations class before they can do potions," I commented, thinking of the disaster it would've been otherwise.

"Truly, it's a blessing. Speaking of which, the potions master, Professor Lir, was wondering if you'd be interested in taking his class. Knowing that, as an F rank, you virtually have no classes, he was interested in having you join. You don't need to worry about having to take Professor Lineage's class, Professor Lir and I have spoken over this matter with him beforehand. So, would you be willing?" She offered, I was interested in taking a class. Being stuck in the library, while calming, was rather boring.

"Of course, but aren't classes separated by rank?" I inquired.

"Yes, so Professor Lir has set up a period for you to join, it'll only be a one-on-one lesson with him, as he believed your ability might not suit those of other ranks." She informed me, the offer was intriguing, and having something else to preoccupy my time would be great. 

"Alright, I accept."

Published on January 12, 2020