• ━ • 11: Oils • ━ •

Your pov

"So tell me, how did you summon demented book monsters?" I asked, remembering that Ismene had to stop in the middle of her work to take care of the small matter.

"Some kid got the calculations wrong, so when he tried using his magic to activate it. Instead of asking his partner or even another classmate to check his answers, he mindlessly activated the calculations, turning our textbooks into ravaging monsters." Damon sighed.

"Sounds... fun." I sarcastically said, of course, math within the magical world held it's own dangers. Getting a wrong answer meant death, literally. I'm so glad I don't need to do that class. "It's surprising you didn't get hurt," I said, remembering that Damon had told me he sat in the front of the class.

"There was a healer among our class, so any damage we got were healed. Though something about you magic is addicting, being healed by someone else felt a little weird," he commented.

"Probably a hormone thing, all healing spells are the same. Regardless of who is casting it." I said, opening the study room's doors. It resembled the library in a way, but was smaller, and had no skylight. Damon made no comment on my remark, following me inside. He took out his calculations, having circled a few in red ink. He had a few other papers of calculations to do, but all were doable, with time.

"There's more, but I can do them later," he said.

"Just do them now, you have to be at your highest for tomorrow," I stated. "Which by the way, why is Broom class on a Saturday?" I inquired.

"It's an elective that my... father wants me to do." He scrunched his face at just mentioning the word 'father'. Fair enough, without his ability activated, his parents ignored their son's existence. But still, to use his ability for personal gain-well, I can't say that I'm any better. At least my mother is now finally at peace, and my father is able to see her again. 

"Well don't scream for my name if you fall, it's not like I can't always save the damsel in distress." I snickered, seeing Damon's face burn a bright red. Although teasing him was fun, I remembered that one needed a clear-empty head when learning how to fly. Coughing, I asked to see his calculations, mulling over his work, and helping him with the minor mistakes he made.

<>

    Nearly an hour later, and we were done, though they were a few problems, it took a bit to explain them thoroughly. "Wait, so you're not supposed to eliminate oils?" Damon asked, pointing at one of the problems circled in red ink.

"In this problem, in particular, the result is a glass-like gloss, and so, oils are needed in this problem. Normally you would eliminate oils since they can affect other factors within a calculation, especially if water is involved." I responded, hovering a hand over the corrected problem, the writing glowed, before a liquid-like matter appeared, floating above my hand. It was transparent, yet gave off a mirror-like sheen and a strange smell. Finding a random wood scrap, I applied the gloss to it, creating a glass texture that encased the wood scrap. 

  In the meantime, Damon watched, taking down notes and observations of the glossed wood. "But how do you know, when to eliminate it and when not to?" He asked. It seemed that he had the most trouble with this, which was reasonable, I doubt even professional mages can tell when to eliminate this annoying factor.

"Typically if any water contents are present, it will take time and plenty of side research to tell what contains water. But in a more simplistic matter, whatever factors that aren't dried, or are of a heavy, or thick liquid-like blood or honey- should have the oils eliminated from the equation." I responded, feeling as though I made it slightly more complicated than need be. By this Hanami had curled up next to Arian, falling asleep while leaning their heads on his scales. Damon quickly wrote this down, before rewording my answer.

"So essentially, dried ingredients and anything thicker than water is the trick to when to eliminate the oils." He commented.

"Correct, although, I think there might be a few recipes that specifically call for oils to mix with water. But I'm sure Professor Lineage will point that out later, but it won't hurt to brush up on when and when not eliminate oils and other ingredients." I noted.

"Ahh, but do I really want to study that right now?" Damon asked, worryingly. 

"Well it is getting late, I wouldn't want you to be late to brooms class." I chuckled, helping him pack up his homework, we went our separate ways, allowing Arian and Hanami to sleep in the study.

Arian's pov

  Seeing my and Hanami's masters leave, I lowered my head, snuggling into the three's soft coats. Though smaller in comparison to myself, they were interesting beings, rather cute, might I add, and very soft, a bit spongy, but warm. Glancing back at the three, who was snoring peacefully, I smiled, falling asleep myself.

Published on March 10, 2020