Supply mission

"Ah!" I gasped, sitting upright and panting. My heart was beating out of my chest, and sweat was dripping down my forehead. I put my hand to my heart, which was beating like it had just been supercharged, which was to say, it was beating as fast as hell.

  The perspiration dripped down my forehead, and a little weakly I wiped it off with the palm of my hand. The nightmare I had just had...it had been all too real. What's funny was that this nightmare was no less realistic than the actual events of last night.

Zombies....zombies were real...what kind of messed up world was I living in?

  I looked down at my skinny shirtless self, and my blood covered hand and instantly remembered the blur of events that had taken place the night before. The zombie attack..and then...I killed it with a surgical instrument? Yeah..that's what happened.

I couldn't believe it, I had survived.

  "Yeah but Zack" I thought to myself, still breathing heavily, "That was just one zombie..you got lucky. And as crazy as it all sounds, zombies are real now, how do you expect yourself to survive the next time this happens?

  It really did seem true. After all, luck could only be on your side for so long. Next time may not be so good. In fact, I had to make sure there wasn't a next time.

  "Speaking of time..." I murmured to myself, "What time of day is it? I really do hope it's not night time."

  Well apparently it wasn't. The light of day was pouring in through the semi permeable blinds that draped over the hospital windows. Little streaks of that light lit up the room slightly, enough for the room's details to become visible to me. I groggily reached over for my phone and turned it on.

  It was currently five minutes to eleven am, which meant I had woken up pretty early. But considering everything, that was probably for the better. I had to get ready for the day, and prepare myself for what it was going to throw at me. Especially if that thing which was to be thrown at me, was a freaking zombie trying it's best to kill me.

Needless to say I most definitely wasn't in the mood to die today, or any time soon.

  Well before I did anything else, I needed a new shirt, and with that preferably a new change of clothes. Secondly, I needed to wash, and desperately too.

  Luckily, there was a toothbrush and sink in my room, so I wasted no time getting there. I quickly looked at myself in the mirror, and just as quickly looked away in disgust. I looked terribly dirty, and the unspeakably gross flecks of zombie blood all over my face made it even worse.

  I grabbed the soap and washed myself thoroughly, scrubbing it all over my face and then my hands, before brushing my teeth. It was lucky for me that these facilities were in my room, but then again, it was a hospital. It was supposed to be a place with a sanitary environment.

  "Well..it was a sanitary place before this whole zombie outbreak happened which I somehow totally missed" I said to myself, grabbing the towel to dry myself off.

  I just shrugged this question off for later as I then proceeded to look at myself in the mirror, admiring how much better I now looked after washing myself. I was now as clean as could be. And with that done, I proceeded to look for a shirt. I grabbed my phone and the instrument off the bed, and pocketed the phone, keeping the dagger like object in hand.

  I reached for the doorknob, and instantly a vivid flashback of the night before came to me. I gasped and doubled over, gripping the weapon like steel and backed up against the wall, my heart beating at an unimaginable speed.

  "It's okay Zack" I said, trying to comforting myself, "It's okay. No zombies will attack you this time. It's day time, and you'd see them way before they saw you. You'll be alright, don't worry."