Not alone

"Hey! Stop the car!" they yelled collectively, waving about frantically.

  I obliged and slowed the car down till I came to a stop in front of them, the car humming softly. I took a good look at the two people as I brought the window down. It was a boy and girl, both looking like they were around the age of eighteen.

"Hey" I greeted, a little uncertain if I should even be doing this. "Um..why were you waving?"

  "Well isn't it obvious? We needed a ride man, and here you come like a god damn savior with a car" the guy grinned, "Name's Felix by the way, what's yours?"

  "My name's Zack. Do you need to get somewhere?" I asked, watching for any suspicious movements. My eyes momentarily fell upon the girl who hadn't introduced herself, and she looked at me curiously. I quickly reverted my attention towards Felix.

  "Oh nowhere in particular, I'm sure you know how things work here; just moving from place to place and trying to survive. We'll go wherever you are heading if that's cool with you" he replied, looking at me for a response.

  "Alright" I replied skeptically, "But..how do I know that we can trust you? How do I know you won't trick me and steal our supplies?" I pointed to Lucy, "I don't want her getting hurt."

  "Well we just got raided by a bunch of hooligans yesterday, so we don't have weapons on us, and you could search us if you'd like. We'll get out of your hair once you drop us off somewhere better than this hell hole, and if we do anything suspicious you can kick us out or something. Sound good?" Felix asked.

  I sighed and thought for a moment, hoping I was doing the right thing. "Alright, get in" I told them, closing the window.

"Thanks man, appreciate it" the boy thanked, getting in the back followed by the girl.

  "Alright, guess we better get moving" I sighed, starting the car up again after which there was an awkward silence in the car for a few minutes. Eventually Felix piped up.

"So who's she?" he inquired, looking at Lucy sleeping peacefully against my chest.

  "Her name is Lucy" I answered, ruffling her hair a little, "I saved her a few days ago from being killed by a zombie, and then from her oppressors at camp."

"What type of zombie was it?" the girl suddenly asked, surprising me.

  "It was a normal type of zombie I suppose. I mean there are only two types right?" I replied, hoping I could get the girl to talk more.

  "There are three types, but you're lucky you have only seen two types. Could you tell me which two types you encountered?" the girl asked, interested.

  "Well there were those that seem like generic zombies, and then I saw one that had no eyes, but had incredible hearing. Honestly I doubt the third type would be any better" I shivered, imagining a bloody gross undead creature that could be the third type of zombie I hadn't seen yet.

  "Ah so you've seen sprinters and echolocaters. But you haven't seen the worst ones; the crawlers" the girl said rather unsettlingly. "Those terrifying things can crawl on the walls and ceiling, and it doesn't help that they're fast as fuck."

  "Jesus they do sound scary" I commented, gripping the steering wheel tighter. "Let's hope we don't meet any soon."

  "Yeah" she said softly, and paused for a moment before saying, "My name's Emily by the way. I'm sorry I forgot to introduce myself earlier."

"It's alright Emily. And it's nice to meet you" I replied, holding Lucy close.

"Wasn't it nice to meet me as well?" Felix suddenly piped in, "I'm a great guy too!"