Fear the dark

*Lucy's pov*

  "Please be okay Zack" I silently pleaded, looking out the window at the convenience store. "Please don't let anything happen to you. I..i can't lose you." Tears began to form in my eyes as memories from the past came forward, reminding me of the last time I had lost someone close to me.

  "No" I thought to myself, balling up my fists and wiping the tears from my eyes., "Zack will come back, I know it. This won't be like last time."

Suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder and tensed.

  "Relax Lucy" Emily reassured, patting my shoulder gently, "Zack will be fine. I promise you that. Besides, he has Felix with him, and Felix never leaves anyone behind; I would know."

"D..do you think they might have run in to something i..in there?" I asked worriedly.

  "If they did, I'm certain they would have gotten rid of it. So don't worry Lucy" Emily answered, smiling reassuringly.

  Suddenly a series of shrieks erupted from inside the convenience store and I froze. "They're a lot of zombies in there! We need to go help Emily!"

  "No it's too dangerous! We can't go out there, especially with no weapons!" Emily argued, grabbing me and pulling me back.

"Hey! Let..me..go!" I struggled, "We need to help them!"

  "We can't do anything! If we went they'd have to protect both us and themselves!" Emily replied with equal ferocity. Her tone made it clear that she wouldn't take no for an answer.

  "At least we can try and open the do- hmph!" I began before a hand swiftly clamped down on my mouth and Emily pulled me close to her.

  "MMMRVIRF!" I flailed about, trying to break free from her grip but it only tightened more; not enough to hurt me but enough to stop me from moving or speaking.

"Shh be quiet!" she ordered, whispering now. "There may be a zombie abo-"

  She was abruptly cut short by one of the most terrifying blood curdling screams I had ever heard. We both fell in to deadly silence. A moment passed, and then another shriek erupted, this time much closer. Close enough to be..right outside the car..

No, no please no

The shriek was followed by a few clicking sounds, and a series of low growls.

  "Don't make a sound" Emily whispered ever so slightly, eyeing her window. She kept her hand on my mouth and quietly pulled me behind her.

  I nodded, trembling now. I held on to Emily tightly, my heart pounding so hard I thought the zombie might hear it.

A few agonizingly slow seconds passed, and then..it came in to view.

  Inch by inch it came in to view. Inch by inch it's horrifying decayed, mutated face came in to view through the window, and every inch forward it went, the time seemed to slow down even more.

  The air was chock full of fear, with an excessive coating of suspense. It seemed so full of fear that I thought the creature might see it before it saw us. I started to perspire nervously, my eyes locked on to the undead thing, all the while praying it would go away and leave us alone.

  It kept walking forwards, making those weird and freaky clicking sounds, and for a moment I thought it would completely miss us.

It was now almost away from the window, almost...almost

  Suddenly I felt a disturbance in my throat, and I closed my mouth shut, trying my hardest not to make any noise. But it was too late, I coughed.