City of the dead

"Ugh..w..what h..happened?" I mumbled groggily. "A..Am I dead?"

  Feeling heavily disoriented, I sat up and rubbed my eyes, yawning a little. I looked around, and thankfully I wasn't dead or anything. I was still on the roof of the hospital.

  I looked up at the sky; it seemed I hadn't been out for too long. It was probably midnight....no it was around the time of dawn.

  Suddenly I remembered my phone and turned it on, squinting to look at the screen. Yeah, it was thirty minutes to 3 am.

  Well, now that I knew that, I had to think of what I should do next. I was on the roof, and I was safe for now, especially since the door to the roof was locked safely.

So now what did I need to do?

  "Ah!" I silently screamed in pain, falling to my knees and clutching my stomach tightly. My stomach rumbled and i curled up, trying to lessen the pain. For a moment my vision became blurred too and I felt a little dizzy.

What I had to do next was apparent.

I needed to get food, and I needed to get it quick.

  I was too much in pain to bother to be annoyed by the fact this was probably the third time I was going to venture out in to the dangerous labyrinth of the hospital that was a collection of seemingly infinite corridors and zombies.

But I did notice something troubling. And I was trivializing this.

What was so unsettling?

The door was open.

  But I could think about it later. Maybe it had just been the wind that had done this. I didn't know or care at the moment. I was too much in pain to think straight. My ability of rational thinking ceased to exist at the moment.

I didn't even make an effort of being quiet. I didn't care about anything, I just..wanted...food.

S..so h..hungry.

  I picked up the pace, going from tiptoeing, to walking, to sprinting, and just like that I was at the room door. Or well, the space where the door should have been as,there was no door there anymore. That was lying on the floor a few feet away, and I knew too well how that happened.

  The bed was still there where I had left it, and some good it had done to stop the zombies. I also noted to myself that if ever the world returned to normal, I would see to it that hospital doors only open inwards. Surely having them open both ways would make them dangerous like how it was for me not too long ago. It definitely qualified as a safety hazard.

  Being so close to what I desired, I didn't bother about the bed and just climbed over it, and I just stood there for a moment, aghast.

  The room had been totally trashed, and it was now no more in a better state than the room I had gone in to earlier in search of clothes.

  Torn window blinds, sheets everywhere, and the emergency phone had been broken off the wall. But it didn't matter to me; I just wanted to get to that can of food.

  "Come on, come on, where is the damn thing?" I thought, frustrated, trying my hardest not to step on the broken glass but at the same time trying to do this as fast as possible.

  And not more than a few moments later I had found it! The item which I had so tirelessly sought after. The item because of which I had embarked on this dangerous journey.

  I could barely contain my happiness as I picked up the tin of food and held it in my hands. My mouth watered just thinking about the food, and in an instant my hand was in my pocket, grabbing the dagger.