The night journey

"Okay, let's do this" I thought to myself, taking one last look at the door of the cabin before turning around. Now where was the place where she had lost her doll?

  I looked up at the sky and started walking slowly, trying to find the star Polaris. "God where could it be?" I thought a little annoyed, when suddenly my foot hit something.

"Oh shit!" I gasped, stumbling backwards. I had accidentally walked in to a corpse!!

  After recovering from the initial shock and I came closer to investigate it. There was little to no flesh on it, with some bones displaced. The corpse was pushed up against the wall, it's clothes ripped apart like they had been tossed in to a shredder, and everything to the wall behind it and the grass beneath it was stained red.

  I gulped, and bent down to feel if the grass was wet, but it wasn't, meaning this poor guy had been dead for a while now. The unfortunate man, he looked he like he had been of a young age, maybe late teens? Early twenties? I couldn't tell for sure.

  I then noticed there were fairly small holes in some of it's bones, and i knew this was not the work of any zombie. No, this man had been shot, not once, but many a times; through the skull, heart, arms, stomach, private region and the left foot.

  I felt sick and looked away, it seemed humans really were just as much monsters as the undead themselves. I wondered what the poor guy had done to deserve this, or if he really had deserved to die. Either way the sight was gruesome, and I looked away telling myself that I was out on a mission, and I couldn't get distracted.

  "Okay so..." I murmured to myself, "We followed Polaris to get here, which means we went North, so if I go away from the star, I'll be moving south where the small compound like place was. Now I just have to find the damn star.."

  "Got it!" I celebrated, looking at the bright star in the sky, "You're going to lead me to Lucy's doll and back."

And with that I set out on my quest to get back what was lost.

***

  A gentle breeze blew past me as I walked through the thicket of the forest. Cool winds swept all around, making the tree branches sway back and forth in harmony, as if the wind was a melody to dance to.

  The night sky was brightly lit up, with no clouds around, and my star guide was as visible to me as ever. However I still couldn't recognize any of the places that I was walking through, and that was making me nervous. But I decided to put those worries aside for a while and enjoy the peaceful stroll I was having.

  The grass was cool and felt slightly moist, and there was no sign or sound of a potential threat around, so I just kept walking, though not without caution.

  Eventually I heard the sound of a river nearby, and I nearly jumped in glee. I had made it! Or well..i was not there yet but was nearly there!

  A few turns and paces later I was greeted by the familiar glade again, with the walls of the compound still standing as strong as before, as if they were needed to protect anyone anymore.

  Now I had to be a little careful, because the last time I was there, a horde of zombies had been chasing me so there had to be at least a few of them around. So like a ninja, I swiftly entered the compound and headed to the first building where I began to search for Lucy's doll, but I had drastically underestimated how hard it would be to reacquire it. There were just so many hiding spots!

  I searched through the whole first building, which I identified as the one beneath which I had been trapped, but I decided against venturing in to the dark corridor which led to my not so long ago cell.