Chapter Twenty: The Dawn

Myra's Point of View

Ruby was insane. Ruby was completely insane. A human, on the War Council? A former captain of the Kallian Army to boot. Oh, when she next saw Ruby, in her lioness form or her valkyrie one she would get her back in line. Along with this...Jasper Merson.

A traitor. On her War Council. Not just human, but a traitor. Twice.

Though she supposed it might work to her advantage. He sounded like he had a weak enough spine to do whatever she told him, including vote with Diaz and in doing so, ensure nobody else would dare to agree with the arrogant, thick-skulled general.

She went to meet him in the war room, toying with the idea of throwing a dagger at his head. It didn't have to actually hit him, but she'd like to see him flinch as it whirled past and embedded itself in the wall. She might even decide to nick his ear.

This particular war room was old and crumbling, mostly abandoned since it came from the era where only the heir and queen would discuss war and training. It had certainly been a more efficient method.

"Merson?" She said, her voice filled with boredom. The aforementioned captain sat on the stone chair, clearly uncomfortable. She blinked when she first saw him. Humans did have pupils after all. How strange.

"I've been told my eyes are creepy," he said. "But honestly, I think yours are the creepy ones."

"I thought it was just the Crimsons who had black spots in their eyes." She mused. "Unless you are one."

"No," he said quickly. "I'm not a Crimson."

"That's good," she smiled. "Unless you can't tell, we don't really like Crimsons around her."

"The colours scheme is all green and blue," Jasper replied. "It's abundantly clear." She smirked.

"For the sea."

"I suppose you want to know what the Empress hid in my mind."

"I suppose I do. Were you informed of the Kallian Armada?"

"Yes."

"Do you need any more motivation than that or can we do this the easy way?" Myra gave a predatory angle of her head, stalking slowly towards him. Fear-such easy, mortal fear-flashed in his eyes. He still didn't respond.

"The hard way, then," she smiled. "How fun."

"They've discovered alchemy." Jasper blurted. She snorted.

"The elves have been trying to do that for centuries. We valkyries gave up on it before they even started. I'm going to assume that's a joke and not an attempt at deception, so I'll ask again: what. Did. She. Block. Out?"

"Just listen to me, okay?" Jasper pleaded. "They have the Immortality Elixir, and they can turn lead into gold. Prince Aaron discovered it."

"Oh really?" She laughed. "He's what? Eighteen."

"That's why he's so important." Jasper continued, desperation leaking into his voice. "For the past two years, the Empress isn't letting him out of her sight, even though he's the seventh of her seven children. Not even Markus, her eldest, is so vital to her.

" And how can you explain the Armada? You must have seen some of it, or gained reports. How can you explain the quality of the ships, when we're a desert nation, impoverished and until the Empress, divided?" She bit her lip, considering.

"Tell me more about the alchemy. How is it done?" She asked hungrily. If they could steal the secret from the Empress, the whole war would be worthwhile. They just had to make sure the elves didn't get to it first.