Chapter Thirty-Six: Dead Ends

On her side she had three vaults, a secret magic, a knowledge of her mother's inability to lie and a single contact. On her mother's: An Empire of power, dozens of guards and a far more powerful magic.

In the first vault: an array of poisons that she could only possibly use on her beloved brother.

In the second vault: blackmail that she had no way to mail to anyone.

In the third vault: letters to a witch who she had nothing to offer and DarkMirrors which no one would get near.

And her sole contact: her brother with very divided loyalties. He was probably being watched as closely as she.

And unfortunately for her, her mother had very little need to lie. The truth was quite advantageous to her.

And very unfortunately, her secret magic would only be secret for a brief period of time after she used it, and revealing it meant her mother would know that she had hidden it, and then she'd begin to ask why.

In short, her three vaults, secret magic, knowledge of her mother's involuntary truth-telling and single contact were very much difficult to use. But she would find a way to use them.

Poisons and Aaron? If she didn't love her brother, she might have gained a hostage. Cross that out.

Blackmail, poison and Aaron? Threaten her brother with poison to send blackmail tosomeone: the only problem was who. No one could rescue her from her mother.

Magic and DarkMirrors? Escape the guards and leave the palace, forfeiting her claim to the crown and making her a fugitive that anyone, including the valkyries and elves, would hunt down.

There were ways for her to get out of the palace, sure. But if she did, she would lose her chance to take back her throne. There were only two people who could protect her: the valkyries or the elves. And neither would want to help-or even trust-a Crimson.

There were a thousand ways for her to escape her prison. But she needed her mother to trust her. Fleeing does not generally create trust. She could try to fake a rebel's attempt on her life, but her mother would see right through that.

If there was any convenient threat on her mother's life, she might try to protect her, but unless she actually died defending Medea than the empress wouldn't trust her as far as she could throw her. Dying wasn't really an option.

It was problematic when she needed to be officially and physically alive to claim her throne.

Yes, her mother might have her checkmated. But she would do what she did whenever her opposition had her defeated: she would throw the board in the air, shatter all the glass pieces and shove the shards down her opponent's throat.

Stop playing by her rules and play by yours, she told herself. How do I change the game?

Force her to take me out of here. Force her to take me to public events so I can acquire resources from there.

She had three vaults that happened to contain blackmail. She had a direct line to the last surviving witch, who could certainly mail things for her. Perfect.

Lysandra took out her feather quill and dipped it ink. She discreetly took out a sheet of parchment and started to write.

I find myself in an unfortunate situation, old friend. My mother appears to be watching my letters, and I need to send a little piece of blackmail to an annoying little man.

I would appreciate your help in this matter.I hope to hear back from you soon, my dear friend.

Yours insincerely, Lysandra.