Chapter Fifty-Five: A Traitor Twice

Myra would believe that he had betrayed her. Like so many others, she would brand him a coward and a deserter. She would hate him, and that scared him so much sometimes he could hardly breathe. But the thing he was more afraid of was her death, so he found determination in that.

The day he knew would probably be their last together, so he tried to say goodbye without really saying it. The two of them sat in exhausted silence, trying to distract themselves from doom. Jasper felt sick at the thought of leaving her, at the thought of betraying the girl he loved.

But it was either that or she died and died in vain.

He held her hand until she fell asleep, and then he snuck out of the camp, silent as the grave.

His hands were cold and shaking as he walked across the Isthmus, towards Medea's camp miles away from the valkyries. Myra and her army might be far lesser, they were still swift. He ran through his shaky plan in his head, praying that the Empress would believe him. It would be believable enough, wouldn't it, if he knew nothing about Miras? A few months ago, he would have believed it. A few months ago, he had thought that Myra Isidore was a monster. The thought was almost enough to make him laugh.

The sentries spotted him when he was still a mile away, and Jasper did not even struggle as they put him in chains.

"I come as a soldier of the Empress' army," he told them. "I beg for a meeting with Her Majesty."  They both snorted at him, and suddenly he worried that they would kill him then and there.

"You're a burning traitor," one of them hissed. "And a deserter. You're not worthy for the Empress to stamp on, much less meet with."

They had thrown him in a makeshift cell and told him that the Empress would be informed of his presence. With nothing else to do, Jasper waited, trying to keep his mind off worry. Medea came not in person, but as a writhing mass of shadows that he knew she send out if she needed to be in two places at once.

"Your Majesty," he begged, throwing himself at her feet. "Your Majesty, I beg atonement for what I have done, and I ask for you to listen whilst I explain."

Medea simply nodded, watching him with black eyes like a cat might watch its prey. He fought against the impulse to run and took a deep breath.

"The valkyries sent me here to kill you. Months ago, the MindWeavers forced me to desert," he lied easily. "One of them had found his way into my mind when I was in Crimsith and stayed there, waiting to strike. Since then, I was forced to go deep into Miras and give up the secrets of the army and of the kingdom. The valkyries sent me here to infiltrate the army camp and assassinate you, but the connection to the MindWeavers broke when I came. I do not know why-I can only plead with you to pardon me for the crimes I was forced to commit against you and your empire."

The Empress watched him, assessing with those glittering black eyes that he hated. This time, he would return to the Kallian army as a true spy. And do his best to bring it down from the inside.

"I knew you had never betrayed me, Captain." She smiled at him. "From the first time I heard of your...assistance in capturing the insurgents, when you were merely fifteen, I knew you would be great." Jasper wanted to vomit, but he kept his face straight. "You had such potential, even then. I am glad that you have returned at last."

"I am thankful for a chance to serve my country," he said, forcing gratitude into his voice. "And to take my revenge against my captors."

"Yes," Medea smiled. "I heard you met Myra Isidore herself."

"I did," he said, swallowing.

"And?"

"And she is as monstrous as the legends described her to be." Lies, lies, lies. The words screamed in his brain. What would Myra think of him if she could see him now?

"The valkyries are an abomination, aren't they?" Medea smiled. "I knew you would understand my quest to destroy the God-Born. Now, would you like to kill Myra yourself?"

Jasper's heart raced, but he took a deep breath.

"I would rather that she rotted in a dungeon," he spat, forcing all the hatred he had into his words. Medea raised her eyebrows, and he realised he would have to sell this better than that.

"Somewhere where she cannot see the sea," he added, praying she would forgive him for this, that she would understand. Free her. He'd find a way to free her.

"Where she cannot even hear it," he continued. "Besides, we could use her as bait in case there are any...disagreements from the other valkyries."

"Dorgon sounds perfect," Medea smiled and his blood chilled. The prison of the treasonous was said to be worse than death. He would free her. He had to.

"Perfect indeed," he lied quickly.

"We are twin souls, you and I." Medea smiled. "Each of us made for the vengeance of humanity."Jasper nodded, suddenly needing somewhere to vomit.

He could do this. He could become a spy deep within Medea's ranks, he could free Myra, he could bring the Empress to her knees. All he had to do was endure this a little while longer.

Even if the smile in Medea's black eyes, the pride in her face, made him to tear his hair out and scream.