Chapter Forty: Family Reunited

---------------

Lysandra

She was moping. Yes, she would admit it now, she was moping most thoroughly. All her carefully laid plans were exploding in her face, and nothing seemed to go right.

The valkyries were raining fire on Cobalt and likely to take the city with no Kallian soldiers left. Her mother had locked her in her rooms, and she had exhausted all methods of getting herself out without raising suspicion. She was likely to spend her days rotting in her chambers with nothing to do but read books she couldn't focus on as the valkyries lay siege to Crimsith.

A mere few weeks ago she had been ready to execute her plan and take her place as Heir of not only Kallias, but also the Asrieli Archipelago and Miras. Even after that she had been dancing in a ball thrown in her honour, the crowned Heir of Kallias and eventually the elfin and valkyrian lands, her older brothers dead and the whole world spread at her feet.

How quickly things change in a war. The death sentence of Crimson blood now seemed to stretch tighter across her neck with every passing day and the dagger in her vaults seemed to be heavier as the days went on and she imagined it across her throat at the hands of the feared general, Myra Isidore. She continued to stew on things that would probably be best left alone, such as: will my execution be public, or will I die rotting in some cell? Will they poison me, or hang me or behead me? Will they examine my blood for any special properties?

Unfortunately, her mind was preoccupied by this and not more practical subjects, like: if I can escape, where do I run? Do I use my magic first, or keep it as a surprise? How can I get a sliver in Queen Viktoria's brain?

Well, she tried the last one, but ended up picturing a knife in hers so thought she might leave that alone for now.

There was a knocking on her door and she was bored enough that she opened it. Aaron stood outside, smiling faintly at her.

"I'm sorry about all this, Sandy." He said mournfully. "It's just a stage...Mum will get over it. I know she will. I tried to reason with her, but she just won't listen...I think she's just shocked by what Mark and the others did, that's all." Her brother seemed to now insist on nicknames for his brothers. Clearly, he was continuing to soothe his conscience about not caring that his elder brothers were all dead.

"Mark?" she questioned, raising her eyebrows. "Also, next time you come you better bring cookies."

"I'm sorry. I was in such a rush to see you...you must be so lonely, Sandy. I'll be here when I can."

"Are we going to continue ignoring the subject of the valkyries?" she questioned. Aaron went silent.

"Mother will handle it," he said at last. "Mother always handles things." The pair sat down by the table and Aaron lowered his voice to a whisper.

"You know I'd help you out if I could," he said meekly. "It's just if I do Mother will get angry again and she'll lock us both up for a long time...she's really sorry she has to do this to you, you know. But it's just paranoia and she'll get over it..."

Lysandra droned out her brother's words of reassurance about the war and her imprisonment. If he truly believed anything that was coming out of his mouth then he was a fool, lying to himself. This was not a 'stage' that their mother would get over. The war was not suddenly going to be won by the army-less Kallians.

"...tell me you forgive me, sis." He finished lamely and looked up at her with such lament that her heart melted. "For not coming here sooner and not being able to stop this."

"Of course, I forgive you," she said sincerely. This wasn't Aaron's fault, and if these were their last days then she wasn't going to let her brother spend them feeling guilt over this.

"Do you forgive Mum?" he asked her hopefully. "I mean, do you still love her?"At this, her eyes froze with a long hatred.