Chapter Twenty-Four, Part One: The Traitor

Myra's Point of View

There were four valkyrie groups in total assembled on the Plain of Peregrine. The Hawk Mountains warriors made one, the groups from the Osprey and Falcon Mountains made three, and the host always assembled and ready to march on the Plain of Peregrine made four.

Regardless, there was a sense of unity amongst their fifty-thousand troops, perhaps because of the six hundred thousand that awaited them. Well, when she said there was a sense of unity that flowed through them all ...Jasper was the break in that bond.

He was human, and riding with Myra, which automatically made him hated and envied. None of the valkyries seemed to notice that he was a prisoner, and that Myra held a similar disdain for him. All they cared about was that he rode beside the High General, the heir.

They had marched swiftly to meet the elves, but it had felt like forever. This was because Jasper was constantly talking.

"You're quiet today," Jasper Merson sighed to himself, but she ignored him. A silence fell over them once more, but about half an hour later he added: "Nice weather today." She simply glared at him.

"Why do you hate me?" He pestered her.

"I don't see why a prisoner is so very talkative," she snapped at him.

"Why the mood change? You were nice enough to me before."  And by nice enough, he meant she hadn't thrown a dagger at his head as she had often contemplated.

"I don't feel like talking today."

"Why not? Isn't this meant to be what you thrive upon? Marching to war, and proving your killing-machineliness?"  She winced at that. "Why is it you're in a mood?

"I don't believe I have to explain my moods to you." She replied flatly, summoning up her general's voice.

"Did you not get a good night's sleep?" He asked. "I mean, we're probably going to lose this war, but that's never made you really cranky before..." Myra found herself reaching for her daggers, and wondered if killing him would be satisfying enough to risk jeopardising their relationship with the rebellion.

"This is none of your business." She snapped at him.

"Had a fight with one of your similarly dagger-obsessed friends? Got a headache? Missed a target in advanced archery? Lost a sparring match?"

"Shut. Up."

"Hmm...demotion?"

"If you must know..."

"I must."

"It's because I was paired with you for this trip."

"Touché. But please...what has put you in a foul mood? Have you left someone behind in whatever cities you valkyries have? A friend? Are you married?"

"Some valkyries don't marry, Jasper. All-female kingdom."

"How does an all-female kingdom have children, anyway? Everyone keeps telling me they crawl out of the sea, but I think they're just pulling my leg." Myra sighed.

"Do you really hate me?"

"No. I do not care whatsoever about your existence. You are useful, but nothing more."

"Come on. You have to be somewhat normal. Do you have a favourite colour?"

"Blue. Like the sea."

"Please. All you valkyries say that, because you're so obsessed with the ocean. Do you know what my favourite colour is?"

"I neither know nor care."