Chapter Fifty: The Death of Lysandra Crimson

Lysandra had been pacing for what felt like hours, wondering whether she would ever work up the nerve to stab herself. Everything was ready, and though it had broken her heart to scatter her precious books on the floor and leave broken glass everywhere, she had done it. It was a perfect murder scene, with the exception of a dead body. Lysandra had even written her 'last words' in blood on the torn-out page of a book:

The rebels did it. I love you, mother, Aaron.

It wasn't that she was uncertain of her mother being able to bring her back. It was just...some unnamed dread that came with the thought of ending one's own life. The pain wasn't even what she was afraid of because she knew exactly where to stab herself to make it instant.

She supposed it was normal, and a good sign. Even if you were certain that your death would be a temporary problem, it was still against every instinct to stab oneself.It's just going to be like falling asleep, she reassured herself. Like falling asleep, and then waking up to an improved reality. Hopefully.

It's just like falling asleep, she told herself for the tenth time that minute. Just like falling asleep.

In the end it was the time limit that made her do it. Her brother sent a note informing her that he was coming, and she could not let him walk into a murder scene with a very living sister.

Her resolve almost faltered as she saw the blade so close to her heart. In her mind's eye, she saw the blade's movement, and then she slammed it into her heart.

A burst of pain, then her head hit the floor and she died.

------------

Aaron

His sister was bleeding on the carpet. The world was spinning. He did not know that anyone had that much blood in them, and it was everywhere. Desperately he grabbed the note she held in her bloody fist.

The rebels did it. I love you, mother, Aaron.

His heart splintered and gave a dying scream and he ran to his mother, crying murder throughout the red palace.

When he finally found Medea, she was seated on her throne, glorious and triumphant."She's dead," he choked out. Even with such little clarification, she knew who he meant.

Medea rushed with him through the halls, that burning cat following behind them. His tears flew freely now, but she remained stone-faced.

When they reached the corpse though, she sank to her knees and a single tear slipped down her cheek.

"My daughter," she muttered. "She was my daughter."

The cat gazed at his mother with its dark eyes and seemed to see something there. It slinked towards Lysandra and Aaron almost pulled it away, but he was too shaky from grief and shock.

Gently, Medea took the note from her daughter's fist and seemed to hold back tears.

"I was such a fool," she muttered under her breath. "I never trusted her...and she loved me. All this time, when I was so foul to her. My own daughter."

Sabran drew close enough to his sister that she would have been able to feel her breath, if she had still had one.

"Do it," Medea muttered. The cat raised a paw and stroked it down Sandy's face. He was about to let out a cry of protest when he heard a shaky, desperate gasp. Lysandra rose to her feet, and eyes, black as night, opened.

The relief made him fall to his knees, and he held onto his sister, not believing it was real.