Chapter I

• Dedicated to Mr. Thomas Flanagan...Thank you so much

--Emberkit--

Chapter 1

     The hot sun pounded on Emberkit’s fur, turning it to a bright gray.Emberkit stretched out on the hot rocks feeling the sun warm his fur.  Emberkit felt someone nudge him affectionately. “Time for your bath little one.” meowed Cinderfern gently. Emberkit stood up and stifled a yawn. “Do I have to?” complained Emberkit. Cinderfern twitched her whiskers in amusement,”Yes you look like you just fought a battle in a thunderstorm.” Emberkit felt the heat and scratchiness of his mother's tongue lapping against his fur. “Mom, STOP!” Cinderfern sighed, “Alright, what do you want to do now Emberkit, my dear?” Emberkit jumped up and down. His shoulders wiggled in excitement as he spoke, “Can Tinykit and Leafkit come?” Cinderfern “Okay, why don’t you go as-”

She was interrupted with a loud yowl.  “Let all cats old enough to fight in battle and catch prey with their own paws come gather underneath the Flame Ledge for a FlameClan meeting.” Cinderfern licked the top of Emberkits head and meowed, “Lets go stand outside for a moment to hear what’s going on.” Flaremoon’s voice rang across the clearing. “ Our clan has been affected by greencough as you all know.” The tom hesitated for a moment. He looked down at his shaking paws and his yellow eyes clouded with sadness.The way the young tom looked weighed Emberkit’s belly down like a stone.

What’s going on? Why is everyone sad? “So starting at dawn tomorrow we will send a search party to look for catmint. Littlefog’s stalks are running low so it would be appreciated. “ What does it look like? Where is it?” meowed Rustpelt from the crowd of cats. Littlefog lifted himself to his paws. He looked frail and weak. Does Littlefog have Greencough too? How is our Medicine Cat going to heal others, when he can’t heal himself? “ It is a leafy green plant with a delicious smell to it. You should find some growing in the abandoned Twoleg place, and if you don’t find any there, come back and tell me please.” croaked Littlefog. Rustpelt gave a curt nod and Littlefog sat back down.“That is all.” Flaremoon began the journey off the ledge. “Umm, Flaremoon?” squeaked a young voice. The owner of the voice stood. It was Feathersplash. “Remember, the news?” Flaremoon looked confused for a moment, and he stood there for a moment and his eyes turned back to grieve .“Yes, we will also hold vigil for Cherrybranch and Tinykit.”

A  tan tabby she-cat and a light brown tom runs over to the Flame Ledge. “Tinykit, how, when, where, why?” The two cats burst into tears. Their eyes clouded with sadness as they looked at the limp cat lying in front of them.”They hunt with Moon clan now.” said Leafkit’s mother, Cloudwhisker with her voice trembling with sorrow. She- she’s dead? Emberkit was on the verge of tears His eyes met Leafkit’s and they sent a silent message. Go to the nursery. They both raced there at top speed. When Emberkit got there he was out of breath. They both huddled together and fell asleep

--Ashkit--

Chapter 1

“Ashkit...Ashkit…” Ashkit felt someone prod him in

his stomach. Ashkit groaned and rolled onto his side. “Stop acting like a lazy elder and come and play!” Ashkit opened his eyes to see Stripedkit, one of his denmates. “What if I don’t want to..?” Ashkit said lazily. He saw a mischievous look twinkle in her eyes. “If you don’t… I’ll turn into a badger and eat you.” Stripedkit playfully pounced on Ashkit.

His whiskers twitched with amusement. “Ok so you want to play that game do you?” Ashkit lifted himself to his paws and rolled Stripedkit onto her back. “If you’re a badger than I’m a fox!” “ Oh no a fox! I’m doomed, I’m going to die!” Stripedkit said in a playful tone. He started making fox noises and batted Stripedkit in the stomach.