Chapter III

--Emberkit--

Chapter 3

Emberkit was panting, but he ran on. He had to get to Cinderfen! “Cinderfern!” he called again breathlessly. He leans up on a branch. No! I have to get Cinderfern, I have to!

Emberkit was panicking as he ran toward Cinderfern. His paws itched to get ahold of Cinderfern and get Leafkit out of the river where she could be safe. I can’t lose another friend after Tinykit. What would I do without my only denmate?“Cinderfern!” The gray she-cat whipped her head around. She was carrying two RainClan kits. Are those the kits I saw earlier? Ember realized that it was the same cats he had saw earlier. Their pelts were still caked in blood.

“What is it? What’s wrong?” muffled Cinderfern through a mouthful of kittens.”It’s Leafkit she’s drowning!” exclaimed Emberkit. She quickly ran to a log. “Stay here I’m going to go help that kit.” mewed Cinderfern to the kittens.

She ran towards the rivershore and started paddling in the dark muddy water. She’s pretty good. How did she learn to swim like that? He saw Leafkit thrusting her paws violently in the water trying to get air.

“I can’t watch this.”meowed one of the kits. “Well we can’t just let her drown!” The tom rose to his feet and limped toward the shore.His paws slapped in the shallow water causing tiny waves to ripple on the surface. What is that mouse brain doing? “What are you doing?” snarled Emberkit. “I’m saving your friend mouse brain!” hissed the kit. Emberkit watched the kit glide his paws through the water with ease.

He started to break into panic again. Where is Leafkit….and where is mother? He saw a gray head bobbing in the water gasping for air. Leafkit was clutching onto Cinderfern desperately holding onto her life.

The kit paddled in the water and stopped when he reached Cinderfern and Leafkit. He had a stick in his mouth.Leafkit looked at the kit with confusion planted on her face. "Emberkit? When did you learn how to swim!" She must think that kit is me…. “No time for questions just grab on to this stick!” snapped the gray tom. Leafkit nodded and dug her claws into the stick. He started paddling to the shore, when the kit reached land he collapsed in exhaustion. Weak..Emberkit snickered to himself. “You ok?” asked the kit. Leafkit nodded. “I think so” she replied.

The kit sniffed her cautiously. “You’re not ok you’re hurt!” Emberkit noticed a giant wound on Leafkit’s leg.

“How in the name of Moon Clan did you end up in the river?” “I um- was collecting some more ferns to cover up the graves and….” Leafkit paused to take a deep breath.”A herd of foxes chased me into a river.” Emberkit sighed and nudged her with his muzzle.”Mouse brain.” he purred.  Cinderfern nuzzled Emberkit. “I’m so glad you told me! Now, lets get all of these kits to Littlefog before they get even more hurt.” Emberkit glanced up at his mother. “Why do you care about them so much?” The she-cat looked over to the kits sitting on the log. “Well,” she sighed, “When you care about cats as much as I do, you can’t bear to see one hurt. Lets go to Littlefog now dear.”

--Ashkit--

Chapter 3

                                   Panic ran through Ashkit from paws to tail tip, he glanced around nervously looking for Stripedpelt. His paw pads became damp from sweat and his gray pelt became hot in panic and guilt. “Stripedpelt” hissed Ashkit in dismay

Where did she go?

He sheathed and unsheathed his claws anxiously and twitched the tip of his tail tip back and forth. “Hey Ashkit!” chanted a familiar voice. Ashkit’s stomach lurched. “Stripedkit?” mewed Ashkit weakly. “What? Where were you?” He turned around to face Stripedkit, she had a scrawny vole dangling from her mouth.  She placed the vole on the ground so she could speak.