Ch. 5 - Birthdays not meant to be forgotten

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will leave in torment if you don't trust enough. - Frank Crane

***

October 28th

***

It was late October now and we had just come back from an extremely tiring case in Los Angeles. It had taken us two weeks to catch an underground ring of serial killers. 

Reid and I had grown extremely close over the last 1 and a half months and I was grateful for it. Dad and Rossi were proud of my progress. They knew my nightmares were down but what they didn't know was the reason. I had been sleeping in Spencer's hotel room every case we had. 

We were nearly caught this last case when JJ came to my room in the middle of the night and didn't find me there. Thankfully I heard her knocking from his room and slipped out behind her when she wasn't looking. I reappeared with an ice bucket and claimed to be getting ice. 

If I was being honest, I didn't know what I was doing with Reid. I was scared I was leading him on to something more. But I've never even had a boyfriend or even experienced the feelings needed for that. 

But with Spence, it's like a constant feeling of safety and warmth. Like no matter what's wrong with me, he'll be there to wipe my tears away and hold me. I have a degree in psychology and have an IQ of 176 but I still can't explain this. I couldn't explain the sparks he left on my skin every time he touched me. 

When we got home, I barely made it to my bed before I passed out. I hadn't even gotten into PJs yet.

***

When I woke up I was thankful for the rare nightmare free sleep. I grabbed my phone before getting up.

7:42 am

Max: HAPPY BIRTHDAY SPENCE! I can't wait to give you your present! 

I jumped up and rushed into the bathroom to shower. Once out I decided to switch up my routine and I braided my hair down my right shoulder. I walked over to my closet and grabbed out a navy blouse and black slacks. I traded in a blazer for a tie. I grabbed out my blue solar system tie and put it on stepping in front of a mirror to make sure I tied it straight. I grabbed my bags just as my phone vibrated. 

8:07 am

Spence: Max I thought we agreed on no presents

I chuckled at the text as I could hear him physically sighing.

8:08 am

Max: You agreed, I simply just nodded. You'll love it anyway.

I put my phone back in my bag as my hand grazed the wrapped present. It was simple. But I knew Spencer, simple was better than lavish. 

"Good morning honey, you're looking chipper," Beth commented as I made my way into the kitchen. 

"It's Spencer's birthday, of course, I'm chipper." She hummed to herself as if to hold her tongue. I shook my head instead of saying anything. I was used to this by now since Derek and Garcia swore that there was something going on between us. Which we denied, which only fueled the flames. 

A little bit later, dad and I were in the car and on the way to work.

"So, what did you get Reid for his birthday?" My dad asked as he looked over at me.

"You can find out when he does, dad. It's a surprise for a reason." I sighed and looked out the window. 

We parked and I had to restrain myself from running up the stairs since I knew I'd be faster than the elevators.