Ch. 7 - I'm not a kid anymore

When a father gives to his son, both laugh; when his son gives to his father, both cry. - William Shakespeare

***

November 24th

***

I woke up to a hand tracing light circles on my back. I slightly stretched and felt Reid's arm wrapped tightly around me. 

"Mmm-morning," I mumbled into his chest.

"Morning." I leaned over and to grab my phone.

7:46 am

Dad: No funny business happened I hope. 

7:58 am

Max: Dad, I'm 24, not 13. Also, we are coworkers. 

7:59 am

Dad: Sorry kiddo, dad senses are a little rusty I guess. I'll see you at the station. Love you.

8:00 am

Max: Love you too dad.

"At least lying is easier over texting than face-to-face," Spener said from over my shoulder. 

"What he doesn't know, can't hurt him." I leaned over and placed a kiss on his cheek before getting up and walking to the bathroom. I got dressed in a blue blouse and felt-lined blazer. I pulled out my black slacks from yesterday. I braided my hair down the side and placed a brown beanie on top. I stepped out and felt arms wrap around my waist. I turned around so I was facing him and he placed a soft kiss on my forehead.

"We need to get going, or we're going to be late Rose." His warm hand slipped into mine. Our fingers interlocking. 

"What's with the new nickname?" I peaked up at him.

"Your hair reminds me of a rose, and you always smell like roses and vanilla." I blushed at his words.

"Aww Spence, that's so sweet." He was such a sweetheart.

"I also wanted to give you my own personal nickname." We got in the car and drove to the station. 

***

We had better leads today thankfully, instead of the ones from yesterday. I was currently working on the crime board and geographic profile. I was the only one in the station currently while the team chased other leads. We had 4 dead bodies and each one had a different M.O., we were getting frustrated already. 

I was sat staring at the crime scene photos when something came to mind. I popped up and flipped the photos around. I unpinned each one and put them next to each other and gasped. The killed was leaving behind a picture and each body was a puzzle piece. If I was right, from what I could tell this was a picture of Moses so far. The ground underneath the bodies was altered just enough to show the image but not enough to be picked up on when on the scene. I pulled out my phone and dialed my dad's number.

"Dad, I think I found something. If you put the crime scene photos together then the unsub is leaving behind a depiction of Moses. I think he's suffering from a psychotic break and that's why residents who have only lived here for less than 2 years are ending up dead."

"We'll meet you back at the station, we might have a profile now."

After the team got back, I showed them what I found and Reid only further added on to my theory. We gathered the town's police department for the profile.

"We believe we are looking for a white male, who is 20-25." My dad said.

"We think he is suffering from a psychotic break and is believing he is Moses," I added.