Ch.10 - Old Ties, New Secrets

Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light - Helen Keller

***

January 10th

***

Max's POV

Ever since we visited the graves of my family and I saw someone watching, I haven't been able to shake the feeling. Everywhere I go, I feel like I have eyes on me. 

I've blamed it on job-based paranoia after another cult case. I live with, work with, and date a profiler. I have no idea how they haven't figured me out yet. 

For our one-month anniversary, Reid and I went on a date to the local planetarium for an event on 'Halley's Comet'. I cried thinking about Haley later that night and Spencer apologized profusely. I laughed through my tears and we ended up having sex while a documentary played in the background. 

Now with my birthday in 3 days, the paranoia was even worse.

I woke up for work and checked my phone for texts from Spencer.

5:23 am

Unknown: Tell me profiler, what do you know about me so far?

6:45 am

Max: You've been following me since Indiana, you're a white male, approximately 40 - 50 years old.

I slammed my phone down before getting in the shower. I knew the paranoia wasn't for no reason. He's real. 

I got out and dressed in the green blazer, dad got me for Christmas, white tank top and black slacks. I had developed the habit of mismatched socks since dating Reid. I pulled on my green converse and donned my satchel and grabbed my go-bag and phone. 

"Morning mom. Morning dad." I called as I sat down and took a drink of coffee. I pulled out my phone and saw an unread message.

6:50 am

Unknown: You've given me the textbook. Now give me the personal details. 

7:13 am

Max: You knew someone in the cult and that's why you were at the gravesite. You are following me to try and figure out my connection to that cult. I have no connection. I worked the case. You lost someone in that fire and stalking me won't bring them back.

I sipped at my coffee as I watched the domestic display of my dad and Beth cooking. 

7:15 am

Spence: Good morning baby, I woke up late because my dreams of you were just too sweet. I love you!

7:16 am

Max: Morning. Love you too.

7:17 am

Unknown: I did know someone. I knew a lot of someones. But I didn't lose anyone in that fire. Til next time agent Maxine Carter.

I scowled at my coffee. My stalker knew people in the cult but doesn't consider them burning alive 'losing them'? He must have been an outsider that disagreed with our cult. Everyone that knew about us did. 

"So...honey?" I looked up at Beth. "Can we celebrate your birthday this year? I know and understand why we don't but you are turning 25." I sighed and looked down at my cup of black coffee. 

"Are you asking for you or are you asking for the team?" I said as I looked at my dad.

"Profiling really is in your genes sweetheart. The team wants to throw you a party, I thought we'd ask before I told them no." He said with a smile.