Chapter Twenty-Three: When the Lioness Submits Beside Her Lion

Kashera

Kashera

It never ceased to amaze me how for as many steps as we managed to take forward, Matteo and I always had to take another one or more back. I sat down looking at the blank screen of my computer with a glass of wine between my fingers in the living room. I tried to look over files to distract myself, but that only worked for a little while before I conceded that my mind would not let this particular situation rest. Sighing, I leaned back against the couch as the sunset rays peeked through the still slightly opened windows. It had been hours since I'd heard from Matteo, but I knew that he was alive and able thanks to Clementine and Marcus who'd both confessed to having spoken with him earlier in the afternoon.

After he left out the office mad beyond reasoning, I completed the rest of my day seething in silence. I couldn't wrap my head around how come it was so hard for him to see that I was just as in on this relationship as he was. There was no way in hell that I was going to let some bitter bitch try to come in and tear down what we were working so hard to build. I wouldn't let her, or anyone else for that matter, attempt to do so without some retaliation.

Despite that thinking early on, as the day went on and I got away from the confines of my office I started to have to face facts. I was thinking a little bit irrationally, and trying to move recklessly after promising only moments before to not do exactly that. I still felt that I was justified in my disposition towards Lilly, but the way that I was handling it wasn't the way to go.

I now understood that truthfully I wasn't mad. I think that was an important distinction in my feelings that I had to make if I did no other separation amongst them. I was frustrated beyond belief because to me it seemed like Matteo was able to let down every wall with me except her. It was without question that Lilly Rodellio had done damage that was beyond words extensive. I didn't fault him for guarding the situation of his ex, because I had my fair share of skeletons that I would tell him when the time was right.

Unfortunately for him, his time to fess up seemed to be edging close to the horizon because she'd dropped herself on our doorstep and I wouldn't allow for her to stay. I would bring in the reigns because I owed it to him to keep my word to watch my actions, but I still couldn't let her actions go unchecked. Matteo had it in his mind that he was the sole defender of us, and that simply would never be the case. It was my job to defend us, too and Lilly didn't get to come into our lives unexpected twice over and not see the ramifications of her actions.

I let out a groan as I got up from the couch and made my way upstairs to run a bath. I needed anything to take my mind off of him if I could, but I knew nothing would work. I wasn't upset, and I wasn't being judgmental: I was just worried that he would take the broken road and hide from me instead of letting me in. If he did that, everything that we'd been working so hard to establish with our trust, our communication, and our undeniable love would take a hit like no other over somebody who wanted nothing more than to see us unravel. I wanted him to be better than that. I wanted us to be better that because I knew in the depths of my soul that we were.