Chapter Thirty-Two: When the Lioness Misses the Hunter

Kashera

Kashera

After three weeks of being happily work free, I was stepping back foot into my office today. I was ready to get back to the tiring yet rewarding grind of paperwork and studying cases. Helping people was why I did this and did it well, and now that I was out of the shadows of Matteo's case I could sit back and enjoy filtering through the expansive requests I had to find the task I wanted to take on. I was fueled by the ability to go back to work, still successful, and now free to work as I saw fit. There was no life-altering pressure, and no urgency to save the world from falling on top of me. I could strictly work from a place of wanting.

Walking into the firm I greeted everyone with a genuine smile as I floated through to the elevators. The sound of my pink heels clacking rhythmically on the marble echoed lightly throughout the high ceilings. I sighed once I got in and pressed the floor number on the wall. Looking into the gold tinged mirror I smoothed my hands over the white and black striped dress that came in comfortably in the waist with the matching belt that sat tied into a cute bow in the middle. My natural hair that sat pretty on my shoulders was on its last down days as I saw a puff on the close horizon. I looked soft, but also slightly radiant in my softly done makeup and simple pink glossed lips.  I was happy to be back at work, content with the space I was in mentally, and I was relieved at how it showed.

After our heated but needed heart to heart last week on the anniversary of my dreadful miscarriage, Matteo and I had been taking things slow in navigating the waters of the future. It was easier to do that now that a bridge had finally been built over it for me. It took so much out of me to make that confession to him about my past and the doctors words, but he was right in his comforting words. He was there for me to lean on, and I had no reason to ever doubt the extent of the love that man had for me. We may have been taking it slow, but I liked to think now that when it was our time we'd likely beat the odds just out of our sheer wills.

I'd never known a love like I had with him. I never knew that I was capable of loving someone as honestly and as hard as I loved him. I didn't think it was possible without losing myself. As they say though: you can't feel what you've never had. Now I had it, and I felt like I could get through anything.

Since that tough day we had instead began focusing on the now. We put our efforts into concentrating on things we had actual control over. Things like being together in one house as opposed to having to uphold the responsibility of three as we were crazily doing now. I was officially moving out of my house, and moving to Matteo's personal home off the compound for the time being while renovations went underway on the estate.

Katerina, Brooklyn, Marcus, and I had been taken turns passing around renovation ideas (even though I am saying Marcus loosely as his version of renovation is me inside of the 'mini-mansion', and Matteo outside in an upgraded dog house). We were also having fun driving Matteo as close to the edge as we could by dragging him into our design arguments that he truly didn't give a damn about.