Chapter Twenty-Five: When The Lioness Embraces the Beast Within

(Songs for this chapter:Thinking Bout You- Ariana Grande// Monster-Key Glock)

Kashera

The incessant beeping of the monitors in the morbid hospital room was finally beginning to drive me insane. I had been sitting in this hospital room almost consistently for the past two days without having a problem tuning it all out. Today, just seeing the speckles of white floating the air where the single slant of sunshine peaked through was driving me mad. I knew that I needed to get out of here for longer than two seconds. I also knew that I needed to go home and rest for the sake of my sanity, but I couldn't bring myself to go there.

He was supposed to open the door.

Sighing at the thought, I ran a hand over my face trying to will the frustration out of my system. I ran my thumb over Marcus' hand as my head lied on my forearm. I was tired, and hadn't slept in days in a constant state of worry. Marcus would be okay, thankfully. He had to have a blood transfusion to which our father begrudgingly agreed to. Once that was settled, he slept well into the night before waking up at four a.m. yesterday somehow shocked that two bullets had put him under like that.

He was in serious pain though, and his body was weak because of the surgeries and transfusions he had to undergo so he was constantly in and out of consciousness. Out of it is where he was a majority of time. I was more than grateful for his health. He had no complications as far as anyone could tell, and would be set to walk out of here sooner rather than later.

I still was worried sick that something would go wrong. I was also paranoid knowing that an attempt had been made on my brothers life while he was out handling Mafia business. The life he'd created for himself was not one I wanted for him, but what could I say? I was in love with a mobster after all.

Thinking of him, I sighed in defeat. The door to the room came open with the sound of soft footsteps following not too far behind. The aroma of my mothers soft perfume surrounded me as she placed a kiss on the top of my head before she moved over to the other side of Marcus' bed. Sitting down silently she looked over him before letting out a sigh. She was dressed down, and her normally shining eyes that were all too similar to my own reflected the tiredness that she undoubtedly felt. She had one child laid out in a hospital, and another child working herself to death trying to get her boyfriend out of a jail cell with his name on it.

"Kashera, baby," She called out and I let out a hum in response, "Promise me that you'll go to the house and rest after you leave the prison today. You can't keep staying up here or at your office. He wouldn't want that," She said as I closed my eyes pained.

I knew that. I honestly and truly did, but I couldn't help but want to fight the need to go there. Brooklyn had been bringing my clothes to me. I slept here in the hospital on the fold out couch, and I only left once or twice to go work at the office for hours on end. I couldn't bring myself to go past the living room of the Leone compound the one time I went in briefly to speak with Alina at her demand, and I damn sure couldn't make myself go home.