Chapter Thirty-Seven Part I: When the Lion Enacts War Against the Challenge

Matteo

Matteo

My fingers were tapping impatiently on the table by the side door of the house as I listened to Lilly's voice rage out into the abyss. I saw her mouth moving, and I saw her flushed face moving in sync with her concerning animated gestures, but if you asked me to repeat a single word she said I probably couldn't. I let out a huff that I couldn't hold in as I looked down at my watch. I had five minutes to spare before I had to leave to make it to my meeting. A meeting that despite my stature even I couldn't waltz in late for.

When my eyes came to focus in front of me, Lilly was standing tightly in my face closer than before fuming with smoke all but coming out of her ears.

"Are you freaking serious? I'm talking to you and you have the gal to ignore me! What could possibly be more important than me?" She shrieked loudly in my face. My face hardened into a blank stare before I spoke as evenly as I could manage to her. If I actually answered that question we'd be standing here reading that list for at least a week.

"Lilly, you know I have a meeting to get to. Instead of respecting that you decided to stop me to mouth off. I planned on being gone ten minutes ago, but no. Here I am allowing you to compromise my hearing because I care for you so dearly. If you want to continue this pointless argument we can do it later, but I'm leaving now," I explained.

"Pointless? Oh, so I'm pointless now?"

"I literally didn't say that." I just wanted to.

"I only want to know why you won't touch me. Why won't you huh? Why won't at least try to act as if you care about me, my feelings, and my needs?" she pleaded. I wanted to glare a hole through her, but the heavens knew that I couldn't quite do that. I was already dancing on thin ice over not being affectionate with her and managing to always be conveniently busy. I didn't want to add any insult to this already crippling injury, so with a sigh I brought her cold body into my tense arms before placing a chaste kiss to her forehead as she held onto me securely.

"Lilly, I'm not ignoring your feelings. You keep your promises, and I keep mine remember? You promised to let us take this slow. I'm asking you keep it. I apologize that I'm busy and I seem distant, but you want us to make these big changes so I have to put in the work to make it happen. If anybody understands this you do," I told her as I looked blankly ahead at the bare walls in front of me.

Every poetic lie I told her made my mind flash with the ways I could kill her in this very position we were in. She pulled back making me switch my focus quickly to her. She pouted in protest, but in the end she nodded her head.

"I know, okay. I'll be patient, but you better make it up to me somehow. Now go, our world can't keep waiting on you," She said longingly.

She went to kiss me, but I went for a hug conveniently allowing for me to pull away from her with a kiss on the cheek. I turned and left out the house swiftly and walked through the garage to the already started black Chiron Bugatti. As soon as I got in and lifted the garage door I pulled off to leave the estate finally able to breath.