Chapter one

~December 10, 1920, ~
It was a snowy night in Paris, France; not a soul in sight as a small boy, around the age of ten, tried his best to hurry home. He was all alone that dark night, scared and cold as he walked through the snow of Paris. "Hey son, you cold? I could lend you a sweater?" The young boy stopped in his tracks to look at the person who had called him. The strange man stood in the shadows of an alleyway, staring at the boy with murder in his eye. "I am freezing, but I should hurry home."

The boy tried to smile at the man through the cold air. "No, I can help," the man showed himself to the boy. The man had his long blonde hair in a ponytail, his blue eyes staring through the young child's soul. The young boy looked at the coat the man was holding and wanted to run towards it as fast as he could. "I should hurry home," the boy thought. His home was another hour away; would he even survive in the cold that long? "Alright then.....thank you, sir" the boy smiled a bit.

He walked over to the man slowly, reaching for the coat. The man looked down at the young boy with evil eyes, snatching the coat away from the young boy; the child fell to the floor, unable to catch his balance. "Huh...?" The child asked, confused. He looked up to the man who sickeningly smiled at him. The strange man pulled the boy by his hair, dragging him into the alleyway. "HELP!!!" The boy tried to call. It was no use; no one could hear him.

~ December 12, 1920

"Says that this is the tenth victim of this guillotine serial killer. The victims are random, with no association with each other. Almost like he kills whoever is there at the moment" a Japanese man lifted a French newspaper, showing his British friend. "I know; just this morning, they found a body of a ten-year-old boy. His head was chopped off like the other victims and left in the snow; how gruesome and sick. Who on earth has the guts to do that to a child?" The British gentleman looked back at his Japanese friend.

"Arthur, I know what you are thinking, but your work is here in England, not in some other country. A good detective you are, but if you try going over there to solve the case, who will look over London?" The Japanese man looked at his friend, who had a smirk on his face. "Oh please, I do not go to places I am not needed. Yes, the situation is serious, but the authorities have not reached out to the people here in London to help. I shall not go anywhere I am not needed, Kiku, you know that."

The young British man smiled at his friend as he got back to his work in front of him. The murders were gruesome and terrible, but if he was not going to get paid for solving something, why would he put himself in that position? Arthur took a sip of his tea as Kiku sat beside him. "Besides, you have a lot of work to do here in London," he pointed to the work. Arthur nodded at Kiku and looked at the paperwork. Same old cases all the time, too manageable and solvable; it made his job too easy. He wanted something new.

Although he felt wrong about thinking the murder case in France seemed exciting, he was worried about all the people in panic. How many more would the killer murder, and how long until the authorities finally bring justice to the man? Kiku and Arthur were partners and friends. Kiku acts more of an assistant to Arthur during cases. They were the best detectives in England; if they left, who would be there to ensure crime was not crazy?

A sudden phone ring caused Kiku and Arthur to look at each other. Kiku stood from his seat and walked over to the telephone. "Hello?" He asked. He listened for a while before turning to Arthur slowly, looking at him in horror. "What is it?" Arthur asked. However, Kiku continued to listen, "yes, I understand; I will discuss it with him right away; thank you," he said before finally hanging the phone up. Arthur looked at his friend, worried, as Kiku walked over to his seat again.

"Well? Get on with it!" Arthur said curiously. Kiku took a deep breath before finally speaking, "it was from our boss; they got a call from the authorities in Paris. They need help solving the case....of course, Feliciano thought the two of us would be great for the job" Kiku looked to Arthur as he sat back in his seat.

"Uhhh...." was all Arthur could say. "Yes, but he told me that he would hate to lose the department's best detectives...so if we both go, it would be bad for business, however....if one of us were to go....then, it would work out," Kiku said looking to Arthur hopeful. He did not want to travel to France but knew Arthur would be more interested in it.

"I see, and you would rather have me go?" Arthur asked. His friend nodded and held up a smile. "I guess it would make sense for one of us to go......did he say anything else?" Arthur asked. "Yes! Of course, payment will be involved, so you do not need to worry about it. The Paris authorities are desperate and willing to pay anything you ask." Kiku smiled. Arthur nodded at what he said, soon a bright smile lifting on him. "I guess I will be going to France."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for reading so far....this is a murder mystery book, so there might be some blood and guts now and then, maybe.....

Anyway!!! This book is dedicated to the wonderful rarizimm on wattpad and their instagram is @rarizime . They have amazing art and books, so make sure to check them out.

Like and comment ❤️