Chapter thirteen

I told Francis I was to be staying late at work tonight. I made sure to map out the possible places the killers would show up again, got ready, and waited for the right to walk by the specific alleyway. I needed to look like someone else, so I wore a disguise. I wore glasses and the latest men's fashion in France at the time. Not my usual detective wear. The outfit had a white button-up under a black vest with slacks and a hat to finish the look. Thankfully the hat covered most of my face, so I will not be recognized instantly.

I made sure I had handcuffs with me, so it was easy to arrest once I got close to them. I had other police officers waiting close by, waiting for my signal to step in. I knew It would not be easy to get them, but they only had a butcher knife; I could knock it out of their hands. Once it was the right moment, I started walking closer to the alleyway; whatever happened was for France's good. I walked closer to the alleyway until a weird noise stopped me in my tracks. It was gurgling noise like someone was choking or drinking water.

I quickly turned into the alleyway and what I saw shocked me. There was a person in a cloak that was hovering over Lucile. Her eyes were wide and full of terror. "Hey! Stop that!" I yelled, confused. There was a sudden noise, like a struggle, before seeing her head flop off to the side. The sight was enough to make me almost throw up, but I had to keep it together. This made no sense....why would her husband kill her? Or was I wrong? Was this not her husband doing? I needed to be answered!!!!

The person stood up to look at me and suddenly took off his cloak hood. "This is not what it looks like; I was trying to help her; she was dead before I came here," It was Francis. He tried coming closer to me, but I took a step back. Blood was all over him, and I had no idea what to do. Was he the killer? That did not make sense; he was with me when that woman was murdered. Unless.....it was just another random murder. The one night I tell him I will be working late, there is a sudden crime.

"Francis Bonnefoy!!! You are arrested for the murders of Lucile Bonnefoy and others," I spoke, taking handcuffs out. "What? Are you serious? It was not me! Just search for me, please, Arthur!! The killer is around here someplace!! Please look," he begged. "Nothing you say will change my mind, and the authorities will question you. I can not let personal feelings get in the way of the case," I said, showing him the handcuffs in my hand. As soon as he stepped into the street light, I could see the blood on his face and how his eyes were bloodshot.

"I am sorry, Francis, you need to back up now," I said. He was coming closer to me, and I was not expecting him to grab me and pull me into the alleyway. "I said stop, and you need to come with me to the authorities; I am being as nice as possible. I could be a lot more meaningful," I spoke, trying to keep myself calm. I tried pushing him away, but he would not budge; I could almost see his sister's dead body in the back. Was he going to kill me next?

"I did not kill her, and I would never kill my sister, don't you see? I was set up?" He asked. And my eyes widened; that was my theory at the beginning of the case that he was being set up. "Your sister....?" I said in a confused way. I felt his grip on my wrist as his cloak fell off his shoulders. "You are hurting me," I winced. I tried pulling away from him, but he was so strong. Was it him? Or was I not willing to fight against him? I was shocked by the situation with a friend I thought I had.

"No....because you don't believe me. You must think I will kill you right now, don't you?" He pinned me against the alleyway wall, and I felt my heartbeat speed up. Come on, Arthur, all you need to do is fight against him, and you are not!!! I tried looking away from him, but he pulled my face to look at him. "Well? Could you answer me? You think that way, don't you? I will murder you like those other people were killed maliciously."

"Stop Francis! You are not yourself. I can get you help," I said, trying to pull away. Francis just stared at me with lust in his eyes, and it made me terrified. The situation was scary, and I had no idea what he was planning. "I would never hurt you or anyone Arthur! From the moment I saw you, I knew you were someone I had to protect."
"What? Ahh!!! That hurts you, idiot! You are hurting me now!"
"Only because I know that you will arrest me the moment I let you go."
"Well, yes!!! Look at the situation; I am required to arrest you for questioning, idiot!"

"There is no need for that; I will tell you everything....right now," Francis got closer to me, to the point where I felt his breath over my lips. Was he going to do this? Right now? During this situation? He must be extremely desperate. "Believe me, Arthur," he spoke softly. I closed my eyes tightly as Francis started to kiss me; his lips were soft and sweet. I had to keep my head focused no matter what; there was a killer, and everything was pointing to him. However, there is a possibility he was being set up. That possibility is extremely high.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for reading so far ❤️