Chapter five

"So, I have a possible murder weapon, and now I have another question. Since news travels slow to England, how far are the deaths from each other?" I asked.
"Ahh, at least two days; it has been consecutive," he stated.
"The victims, they have no association with each other?" I asked, and he shook his head. "I have met the families; they all seem to have nothing in common; the killings are random," he stated, and I nodded.
"Yes, I know; I just wanted to ensure you knew the same information as I did."

He looked at me in a goofy way, patting my head. "Detective, you are too serious; maybe you should relax?" He asked.
"How dare you even suggest that while there is a serial killer on the loose? As a Frenchman, I would think you would be as worried as anyone else," I said, moving away from him. "Ahh..... how about after the case is closed? I assume you are one smart man; I am sure the case will be closed soon, and the killer is in custody. What do you say? How about we go out for drinks after?" He smiled.

"I will think about it," I said seriously. No way in hell was I going to have drinks with him. I stood up from my seat and started to walk towards the door. "Leaving already? I guess... remember, if you need anything else, feel free to come to talk to me," he smiled. Francis walked over to me and held his hand for me to shake. "It's been a pleasure meeting you," he smiled. "No, the pleasure is all mine," I smiled.

Once I left the building, I returned to the station. I needed a map of the city and each place a victim was murdered. I passed by another alleyway on my way back and felt myself grow uneasy. I needed to lay out the clues I had so far. That piece of glass was explained, but it doesn't explain why an ordinary kitchen knife attacked Lucile. Especially after the killer murdered someone before with the same butcher knife, I assume that she is telling the truth about the attacker. She didn't see the blade correctly, or maybe the murderer was changing his tactics. It would make sense.

Even then.... a butcher knife? Only butcher shops are allowed to carry those. When I look at the map of where people were killed, I should mark all the butcher shops in France. Maybe that lead will get something else started.

As soon as I arrived back at the station, I asked the receptionist to get me information about all the butcher shops in France and all the locations where the current murders occurred, Along with a map. Thankfully she wasted no time in getting me the things I asked for. It just seemed odd that the authorities in Paris have been having a hard time with this case when I have been getting so many leads. I wonder what they have been busy doing.

Francis could be an excellent asset in helping me find the killer. Especially with his knowledge as a mortician. I went to a nearby closet with the map and list of locations in my hand. I took out my red ink pen and started to color code all of the locations where deaths took place. At the same time, the sites of butcher shops were in color black. I sat on the floor, ensuring every location was spot on.

As I color-coded the locations, I started to see a small pattern. Each of the red dots was by a butchery. There seemed to be at least ten butchery shops in Paris, and at least three crimes have taken place by four of them. The fourth butchery shop has only had one crime near it: the attack of Lucile. I assume that the subsequent two crimes will occur near that butchery shop. I circled that shop that was on Rue de Rivoli. The first crime took place near it.

Looking at the events from previous crimes, I want to estimate that the next crime will occur on the next street over, in that alleyway. I stood up quickly with the map and exited the supply closet. Judging by the time, I was sure that another crime would be taking place soon, which meant that I needed to use the element of surprise to catch the killer. "See you later, detective Kirkland," the receptionist called. I nodded at her as I checked that I had my gun on me just in case. I was not given a partner, so I will do it alone.

I started to walk fast to that location, looking at the map to help me find my way. If the victims have no relation to one another, I was sure the killer would pick off anyone. I looked at the time and saw it was nearly eight at night. It was the perfect time to strike someone down; now, it was up to me to stop that madman. My speed walking started to turn into running, and then speed walking again as I made my way closer to the street.

Perhaps tomorrow, I will interrogate the butchery shops where crimes took place. Going there would help me understand the surroundings more. The thought made me walk slower as I watched from a nearby building to see if anyone would come closer to that alleyway I guessed the killer was in. Waiting only made me anxious, but I could not go in there blind...I just needed someone to take the bait, and I will go in there and save them. If I were to die, all hope would be lost in closing this serious murder case. I snapped out of my train of thought as I watched that alleyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for reading so far ❤️