Chapter twelve

"Thank you again for coming, Roderich. I was so eager to be interviewing you today" I smiled at the husband. I was sure they made up a story together that they agreed on so their stories could match. That is why I need to act on the unexpected, to ask questions even Lucile would not think of having planned out. He took a seat in front of me and smiled nicely. "Oh yeah, sure, anything to help France," he laughed. He was full of shit, and I could read right through it. "So I wanted to ask some questions about Lucile's brother. Francis...I haven't had the opportunity to meet him, so whatever you say today decides his fate."

Seeing a smirk creep across his face made me sick. He was hoping for that; it was written all over his face. However, I needed him to confess. I let Antonio know about the situation, and the police are ready to arrest them whenever I say so. I had the opportunity to lay out a lot of evidence against Lucile and Roderich, and it is just a matter of time. There were still pieces of the puzzle missing.

"Her brother? That bastard is sick, always has been. I mean, the guy works with dead people all day; it is no wonder he went crazy," he spat. It was shocking to have seen someone say something with so much hate. The name of Francis disgusted him; it was surprising they did not get rid of him sooner. "Why do you say that?" I asked. "If you meet him, it is clear...." he said. He looked away from me, and I was sure he remembered what had happened last night. I suppose he knew I was lying about not knowing him.

"So you have not spoken to him?"
"Not at all," I smiled. I needed to get inside his head. "Do you remember a woman named Maria? She was a lover to Lucile's brother," I added, showing him a picture. He looked at it nervously, soon looking back at me. "What about her?" He asked. "I am sure you know she was one of the victims of the case. Can you describe the relationship you and Lucile had with her?" I asked. He looked at me, shocked as he tried to process my request.

"Well.....there were many fallouts, but we respected each other," he tried looking away from me, and I knew he was a lying wreck. "Have you ever thought of hurting Lucile or Maria?" I asked, and his head shot towards me. He grabbed the collar of my shirt and pulled me closer to him, getting in my face. "What the hell are you suggesting?" He hissed. I looked at him seriously, watching his every movement. He seemed to get aggressive quickly. "I am not suggesting anything, and it is just a question I am required to ask."

I felt his hand clench harder on my collar as if he were trying to scare me. "It would be best that you control yourself now. We are in a police headquarters; you wouldn't get away with anything here," I looked at him seriously. Roderich let go of me slowly and tried to calm himself down. He was so quick to attack me; who knows what else he could not control. "Now, can you tell me your point of view on the night Lucile was attacked? Lucile describes the man to a cartoonist, and he looks a lot like her brother."

"I thought you have never talked to him or seen him?"
"I am a detective, and he is a mortician; our paths crossed naturally; however, I never knew it was him until I did some investigating. I also spoke to Lucile about it, and she seemed not to be surprised." I spoke. Lucile never realized to ask the same question when I spoke with her, and he must be keener than her. In a sense that he realizes the small things that I mention to him. "Not surprised about the fact that the person looked like Francis. Do you think he is capable of something like Murder? Murder so gruesome as chopping the victim's heads off?"

"Well, of course, I do; he is crazy; he tried to push Lucile and me away from each other,"
"Oh really? Why?"
"He thought the way I handled things was no good," he smirked. The smirk was evil and disgusting, and I wanted to slap it off of him. However, I had to stay professional for Francis. "I see, so what about Lucile?" I asked. He was shocked at what I asked, and I noticed sweat start to show on his forehead.

"Why on earth would you ask that?"
"Well, all of you were involved in this case... I suspect that one of you is the true killer.... however, leads are pointing to Francis; I would like to know what you think of the two of them," I looked at him seriously, and he could not look back at me. I soon felt how uncomfortable he was getting. "Well...isn't anyone capable of Murder? It is all about whether they will go through with it."

"Well....do you think either of them would go through with it?"
"Well, Francis, he has guilt written all over his face. He is crazy, and I suggest not even speaking to him. The site will make you gouge out your eyes," he said, and I felt a bit angry. This was all I needed; once I finish this report, I will ensure they will be locked up forever. They were both willing to throw him under the bus, all I needed to do was lure them out of hiding at night, so I could officially catch them in the act. Francis won't like the idea, but what he does not know won't kill him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for reading so far ❤️