Chapter ten

That night I waited outside the morgue, waiting for Francis to finish. I have more questions to ask now. I just had to ensure I did my best not to scare him off the situation and how he was possibly the actual target of the killings. "Hello Arthur, I see you can't stay away from me," he laughed. "Don't flatter yourself; that is hardly the case. I just had a few more things to ask you," I added seriously. "Oh yes, unless you wanted to spend the night with me again? Or...did you find a place to stay?" He asked with a smirk.

My eyes widened as I forgot. How could I have failed to get a hotel? All of this running around made the thought slip my mind. "You May be right about the last part....but it is strictly business," I added. "Oh, yes, of course," he smiled. His smile was more genuine and sweet than anyone else's. He indeed wasn't some crazy person, and his sister tried to make him seem. He loved and cared for his sister and knew what was best for her. It was on her that she tried to seek revenge for him not accepting their relationship.

Francis was a good person; he kept to himself in his work and made sure he made others around him happy. It was shocking, but it is nice to see that people like him are still left in a world filled with blood and anguish. "Arthur, I can tell we are going to be good friends," Francis smiled. He put an arm around me and started to walk beside me on the sidewalk. It was late at night, and I had waited for him to get out of work.

"Hardly," I said, laughing. I moved his arm from around me and just walked beside him. "So what questions do you have planned for me? I will just tell you the truth that I am not seeing anyone....up for grabs," he laughed, looking at me. "I would like to keep our relationship professional during this case," I smiled at him a bit. "So you are saying that you will give me a chance after the case?" He asked with a smirk. "Francis! I hardly know you that way, besides...I will be leaving for London as soon as I am finished. I am only here to find the killer, which is it."

"Alright then...I tried," he smiled. We stopped by an alleyway, and he looked at me worriedly. "I forgot to close the shop! Give me a second! I will run back," he said, taking his keys out. "Alright then....hurry up. I have work to get done, too," I said, shaking my head. He quickly ran back to the shop, and I started to lean on a building. I hope he hurries soon, and it is too late for us to be out...especially with...

I quickly pushed myself up and looked at him. "What if he gets hurt by...." I started. If it were his sister and brother-in-law, they would not hesitate to strike him down, right? I walked towards the direction he went, and I felt a pull on my arm. "What the hell?" I said, confused. I turned around and saw someone trying to pull me into the alleyway. They had a cloak on, and my instincts kicked in. "NOT TODAY!!!" I yelled. I grabbed the person by the shoulders and lifted them over my head. Slamming their body down against the concrete floor, I am sure it would have indeed brought them down.

I did not have my weapon on me; how stupid of me to have left it at the office. I quickly got in a fighting stance, waiting for the person to get up. He ...or she was lifting themselves already. "ARTHUR!!! BEHIND YOU!" I heard a yell. It was Francis. I quickly turned around and nearly missed dodging the knife coming straight at me. It was a butcher knife, and these were the killers again. Well...of course they were.

The two people looked to Francis, gasping loudly. That was it, and I knew it had to be Lucile and her husband because of that gasp. They looked to Francis, who was running towards us, before getting to each other quickly and running off. They knew I was here, so I am sure they will be trying to skip town now that they know that Francis and I met. Unless I can lie and say I did not think they were siblings? Francis looked at me worried, holding my face in his hands. "Did they do anything to you?"

"I am completely fine on my own. I am a detective, and I was ready to fight."
"Well....they seemed to run off....maybe they only like killing when a person is alone?"
"Yeah.....that would make sense."
If I were to be the bait and try and lure them into a proper trap, I could get them into custody without risking my life or anyone else's. "I say they are a bunch of cowards for running off like that."  Francis looked in the direction they ran off and glared. "I suppose so," I said, still thinking.

I still need a proper motive... I need that questioning with Francis. "I am just glad you are safe. I would hate to lose you too," he smiled. "Me...too?" I asked, confused. "Yeah....one of the victims to the killers was a girlfriend I had....we had started dating not long after she was killed..." he said sadly. My eyes widened at what he said, and I pulled him. " I am sorry to hear that, but we need to get to your home right away; I have a few things to ask you," I said, a bit shocked. Some of the puzzle pieces were finally starting to fit together in a sick way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for reading so far ❤️