Chapter seven

The woman's knees touched the floor as she started to cry. "Let her go right now!" I yelled, showing my gun to them. Francis stayed hidden behind the garbage can, and I stood my ground. "Hehehe" was all I heard. A laugh from the two? How could they be laughing at a time like this? "Let the woman go, then put your hands in the air before I shoot," I said seriously. "No," the second person spoke. The first person not holding the woman took off, and I was about to chase after, but I stopped.

I stopped as I saw the second person slit the woman's throat with the butcher knife. The shock made me unable to move as he dropped her to the floor. "No!! No, no!!!" I yelled. I ran to the woman and tried to stop the bleeding with my hand. "Oh dear, god!" Francis said, rushing to me. He looked as if he wanted to throw up. "Please! You need to call for help; we have to get her to a hospital," I said; my shaken voice began to become noticeable as I watched the woman choke on her blood.

"Arthur! There is nothing we can do; the wound is too deep....she is gone," Francis tried to explain. I watched the woman's eyes become dull as I still held her neck with pressure. How the hell did this happen?! I was not expecting them to do something like this, and I should have just shot them! "I will call for help," Francis said, standing up quickly. I held the woman's head on my lap as I closed her eyes. This case was becoming even more unbearable the longer I took on it.

I took out my handkerchief and covered the woman's face with it. "I am so sorry I could not save you in time," I apologized. I heard footsteps come closer, and then a hand held onto my shoulder. "It was not your fault; they did the unexpected....." Francis spoke. I agreed to what he said and stood up, wiping my blooded hands on my pants. The darkness of the night covered how bloodied my whole outfit had gotten. I am sure if anyone saw me, they would think that I was the one being murdered. Today on December 14, 1920, another victim was taken.

"Come now; I need you to stay with me tonight," I started.
"Whoa, not the time or place for that," Francis said nervously, looking at the dead body and back to me. "Not like that!!! You Git!!!! It is for work. I will be catching the killers, and it will be done with your help," I said seriously. "Me? Why would you think that's a good idea? I am a mortician; I work with dead people! I have no detective skills whatsoever," he said, looking at me like I was crazy.

"Besides those skills I find very valuable, I suspect you are somehow involved in this case. You are all too suspicious of me, and I would like to interview you tonight," I said seriously. He uneasily looked at me and was confused. "I am not the killer; why on earth would you need to do that?" He asked, confused. "Although you are not the killer, I still have some personal questions for you to answer; I will be renting out a hotel tonight, so once we are done here, we will do that together."

The lights from the police cars could be seen as light lit up the alleyway, making it easier for Francis and me to see all the blood I was covered in. "Okay then," he spoke. A few police officers rushed to the woman as I looked at Francis. What if he and his sister were involved somehow? That would not make sense for him; he was near me when the killing occurred. I had a terrible feeling in my stomach as I watched the ambulance lift the lady up and into a black bag to be taken away.

~
After I had reported everything that happened that night, the head of authorities looked at me a bit disappointed. "I know what you are thinking...but do not worry, this was a casualty, but I am so close to getting the answer of who the killers are," I said seriously. His eyes widened at my words, "killers? More than one?" He asked, confused. "Yes, we have a description of one of the killers but not the other; I will need to investigate that more," I said. "Very well then, you are England's best detective, so I will have to trust you on that."

He handed me a piece of paper "you might want to check this out before you start getting some new friends. Lucile had given more details about who attacked her," Antonio said, looking at Francis in an ugly way. I felt confused as I took the piece of paper. I placed the new evidence in my pocket as I walked back over to Francis. "Let's leave so I can get changed," I said nervously. "Do you even have a change of clothes?" He asked, looking at my face.

"Well......." I thought back to the whole day, realizing I had lost my luggage somewhere in Paris. I guess it was fine; I only had clothes in it. "I think maybe ....I lost my things; I will need to buy new ones," I said. I started to walk in the direction of hearing him follow me. "Let's go to my place; I have extra clothes you might fit into," he smiled. I looked at him, trying to study his face, but I could not figure him out. "Let's go this way; it is by the morgue but not too far away."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for reading so far ❤️