Chapter fourteen

The longer he kissed me, the more intense he got. I liked every second of it, and I just needed to keep my head focused. "Are you done?" I asked. I had pulled away from him and looked at him seriously. "Not yet," he whispered. He pulled me closer and started to kiss me more. This was odd, he could have stopped by now, but he wasn't. "Francis, just calm down for a second. You are reacting this way out of fear; just calm down," I spoke, finally pulling away from him. "I.....I am so sorry, Arthur," he said sadly.

"It is fine, just ...take a breath, please," I spoke. A weird noise was heard, like the sound of some running. Francis looked in the direction the noise was coming from and gasped. "Arthur!!! Forgive me," he said. I looked at him, confused, as he pulled me towards him quickly. As he held me tightly for a split second, he turned me around, still holding me in his arms. He had moved us about a few feet from where we originally were standing. "Why did you do that?" I asked, confused. I looked at his face, which had shock written over it.

"Francis?...." I said slowly. He fell on top of me, and we both landed on the floor hard. "Francis?" I asked. I looked up to see a person in a cloak, his hands were full of blood, and I widened my eyes, shocked. Looking back at Francis, I could see a knife sticking out from his back. I quickly took off my vest for him to lay his face on as I quickly flipped him over. "Oh god, Francis! Are you alive?" I asked, terrified. "I...." was all he could say from the shock.

I stood up looking at the person "damn it! I missed; I suppose you are better," he laughed. Taking off his hood, I was able to see Roderich. I was right! Everything I was thinking about was right; Francis was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. "Francis, hang tight, please," I spoke, covering his bleeding body with his cloak. I hope he stays alive long enough for me to deal with this bastard. "You are so smart, detective! No one else in Paris could figure out who did the murders, yet you did in less than a week. It was impressive."

"You killed Lucile? And all those people?"
"Of course! It was easier with Lucile doing whatever I said half the time," he smiled. I smiled at his confession and took something out of my pocket. It was a whistle I was to blow for the signal. I never blew it on Francis because I was not sure if he was the killer or not, and now I am glad I did not blow it. I held the whistle to my mouth and blew it hard. "What on earth? You are stupid," Roderich laughed.

He snatched the whistle away from me and threw it on the floor. It was too late for him; the authorities were near and would be here any second. "Would you stop already? You lost; you may have figured out my identity, but you will not be alive to tell it," he smiled a hideous smile that lusted for blood. Roderich pulled out a knife and showed me the large blade that reflected my face on the edge. I backed away from him, and all he could do was smile. "Why would you kill all those people?"

"At first, it was the blood thirst, but I needed someone to cover my tracks. I figured I hated Francis enough to make sure he was taken for the blame."
"You are sick; you killed children, innocent people, men, and women."
"Once you realize how little I care, you will understand."
Roderich charged at me with the knife, and I managed to dodge it. He stood beside Francis, who was still lying on the floor, bleeding. Roderich smirked at me before lifting Francis by the hair. "Come here now, or else he gets his throat slit," Roderich hissed. I felt my heart drop as I looked to Francis, who could not defend himself.

He was innocent and had a chance of surviving his wound, and I had to protect him as I promised. "Don't even think about it, Arthur; I am bleeding out; wait for the authorities to help, "Francis managed to open his eyes and look at me. "I am the authorities," I smiled at him sweetly. Roderich laughed at the atmosphere as he asked me to come to him. "I will let him go if you come to me; he is bleeding out anyway," he laughed evilly. It made me sick to listen to his voice.

"I am sorry, Francis, but I promised to keep you safe," I spoke. I walked to Roderich slowly, seeing him toss Francis to the side like a piece of trash. I was hoping desperately for the police to come soon. Once I stood in front of Roderich, I tried to stand tall, so he knew I was not afraid of him. "You are pathetic," he laughed. He quickly rotated his hand with the knife and was about to strike me until we both heard a noise that made us turn around soon.

"Stop!! We will be forced to shoot any more movements," Antonio yelled. Once he got Roderich distracted, I knocked the knife out of his hand and pulled his arm behind his back. "You are under arrest for the murder of Lucile Bonnefoy, the attempted murder of Francis Bonnefoy, and the series of murders in Paris," I announced. He grabbed Roderich roughly as he pulled him to a police car. I took out my handcuffs, arresting him. I could see many police officers and paramedics come to the aid of Francis while some covered Lucile's body. "Nice job, Arthur; because of you, Paris is sleeping soundly tonight," Antonio smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for reading so far ❤️