For They Must Return - Lord Of The Rings One Shot

Elrond sat at on the deck of a ship leaning against the railing in deep thought. So much had happened in the last few years but then things changed even more within a month. Valinor was a place that was everlasting as the elves but it was never meant to be their permanent home. The great lands of middle-earth was supposed to be that. Yet, ages ago before the sun shown in the sky the Valar changed that and invited the elves to Valinor and now it has changed once again. The light of Valinor changed the beginning of last month this changed caused many different elves to feel weak or sick. No one knew what to do even the Valar were at a loss until a new Ainur came to the Valar and the elves with a message or rather an order form Eru Iluvatar. 

They told them even though Valinor was out of time and the spaces of Middle-earth it still bordered on that place. However, now it was drifting back into the halls of Iluvatar where Valinor came to be. They said that if the elves stayed in Valinor and if Valinor were to drift back into Iluvatar's halls then the elves will fade from the existence that was set for them. 

Someone did ask the Ainur about the reason why the became tired of middle-earth. How it grew old and weary. The Ainur answered vaguely but did say that it will change for middle-earth is their true home. 

"Elrond?" A voice said interrupting his recounting of the past month. Elrond blinked and looked up at Celebrian who stood there with a shawl draped over her shoulder. 

"Celebrian? Are you alright?" Elrond asked. 

"I am fine, I was coming to see how you were." She replied. 

"I am alright, just thinking about everything." He said. 

"So has every other elf," She responded as she sat down next to him. "No one would have thought that all elves will have to return to middle-earth."  She added. 

"Right," Elrond said. He then gave a slight laugh and said, "I have seen the world change a lot in my years but I never thought it would change like this. I can not start to imagine how it will now change with the elves return." 

"Well, changes are part of how the world works. Also, I am rather excited about this. I wanted to see my daughter again as well as meet her husband." She said. 

Elrond smiled and took her hand holding it tightly for a moment. "Yes. It would be amazing to see them again." He said. 

"As well as have them meet some other members of your family," Celebrian nodded to Maedhros who was hanging close to the back of the ship half hanging off the railing. He got sea-sick easily and despised sailing. Maglor was next to him patting his back with Fingon who was holding an extra cloak for the red-haired elf. Elrond gave a light chuckle and nodded, "Yes. Needless to say, it'll be a very interesting meeting." 

"I think you mean a very interesting year," Celebrain replied. "Elves left middle-earth and at the start of the third age. Many may have never seen an elf and now we are coming back. Everyone will have to get used to elven cities and towns." 

Elrond just nodded in response. Yes, people have to get used to this change as well as having elves returned. Well, not just the elves who sailed but a lot of elves who have died but were gifted life again. Which was another part of the message that this Ainur had. That a lot of the elves who have passed away should be gifted to return. The sons of Feanor, the house of Fingolfin, the sons of Finarfin, the lords of Gondolin, along with a handful of other elves. 

Elrond let out a long breath and nodded a bit. Yes, things will be different and there will be a lot of adjusting. Yet, needless to say, things will not get boring in middle-earth for quite some time. 

~~~

Sometime later the ships reached the shores of middle-earth. A few came to the grey heavens but others coast of Forlindon. Most of the elves where lost just standing in the city that was there. Elrond understood that besides they none of the former rulers had a chance to think about what to do or where to start re-building a once-forgotten city or a new city. However, before everyone left Valinor they did form half a plan by getting two groups. One of the groups was going to be a messenger to inform the great cities that are in middle-earth. Elrond was part of that group. He volunteered to bring the message to Gondor since he figured he and his wife we'll be staying there for quite some time. The other group was the ones who had a home here recently. Whether it was Mirkwood or Lothlorien, they would return there and start their lives again. The others who had no plan would remain here until the leaders of the elves had an idea of where to build or re-build their cities.