Stage Fright - Silmarillion One Shot

"No! I can't do it!" A young Maglor said, shaking his head.

"Come on Kano, it's just for the family and a few guests," Maedhros said as he stood by the door to Maglor's room. The young bard shook his head firmly as he sat in his bed.

"No! I can't, what if I mess up? What if they don't like me?" he asked.

"Kano. You'll do fine, this is just just a bit of stage fright." Maedhros said.

"No! I am not going to do it!" Maglor said firmly. Maedhros sighed and came over to him and sat down right by him.

"Come on. You will do great," He said to him.

"What if I mess up though? What I forget the words?" Maglor asked panic in his voice. Maedhros just sighed and put an arm around him. He gave him a side hug and said, "Kano. You will do just fine. You are amazing and you have nothing to worry about. Besides, you are fine when you are singing in front of just us."

"Yeah. That's just you guys," Maglor said. "But there are going to be so many people watching me!"

"Alright. Do you just want to stay up here and not do it?" Maedhros asked.

"Yes!" He answered then paused for a long moment "Well...maybe. I don't want to be there but I still want to show what I can do."

"Do you want me to sit with you then?" Maedhros then asked. "I mean I won't mind."

"You will?" Maglor asked.

"That's right. You can pretend you are just playing for me," He said to him.

"That can work," Maglor said with a smile. Maedhros stood up and took his hand standing him up. The young musician smiled at him and hugs him.

"Thank you Maedhros!" He said smiling brightly.

"Of course," Maedhros said and hugged him back. Maglor stood back and walked with Maedhros outside of his room. He brought him downstairs and led him into a crowded room filled with the elves. Maglor took Maedhros's hand tighter as they walked there.

"There you two are," Nerdanel said as she came over to them. "Is everything alright?"

"Things are fine," Maedhros said. "Kano's ready now...right?"

"Yeah. I was having some stage fright and Nelyo said he'll stay with me to help me." He said.

"That's very sweet Nelyo," Nerdanel smiled softly as he kissed his head. Maedhros smiled a bit and nods at her. "Well, enjoy the party a bit before you go and perform,"

"I don't think I can eat...I am too nervous," Maglor said.

"How about a bit of water?" Nerdanel asked him. Yet, he was interrupted by Feanor who came over. Their father was struggling with a very little Celegom who was climbing all over him.

"Nerdanel! Help!" He yelped as he tried to pull Celegorm off his head. She shook her head as she reached over and gently lifted up the little Celegorm. Feanor calmed down his hair since Celegorm had climbed all over his head. Maedhros and Maglor giggled lightly at this and got a little look from there father.

"Are you ready?" Feanor asked the young dark-haired musician.

"Yeah," Maglor said with a nod. "Or at least I think so."

"Good. Now do the best you can, your half-uncle Finarfin is here with that kid of his. He claims that they have musical talent. Yet, I need you to show that-" Yet Feanor was cut off with a yelp as Nerdanel lightly took his ear lightly.

"Feanor." She warned lightly.

"What!?" Feanor protested. "I can show up that half-witted, (note the rest of this name is something that can not be put into words)."

Nerdanel shook her head as she listened to him go on and no. As their parents went into their normal spiel as Maglor inched off soon followed by Maedhros. They walked through the crowed but Maglor walked to a drink table and got himself some water. He sipped some and took deep breathes. He was nervous about this, he started to wonder why he even agreed to this. This was just a party that his parents where having and he was pretty sure that his father asked him to do this so he can show him off.

"Just breath Maglor, you will do fine," Maedhros told him gently rubbing his shoulder.

"I hope I will be," Maglor sighed deeply. Maedhros could only offer his brother a little encouraging smile. Maglor smiled back lightly and sighed. Their father soon signaled Maglor over and the young musician took yet another deep breath and sighs. Yet, it was helpful to know that Maedhro stood right next to him as he walked to where a harp was set up. He sat down right by it and froze. His memory was blank as all the people stood around him.

"COME ON KANO! SHOW EVERYONE HERE WHAT YOU CAN DO!" Siad Feanor who was ready to rub into Finarfin's face how good Maglor was.

"It's alright. I know you can do it." Maedhros said to him as he sat down by his brother. Maglor smiles a bit at him and tones out the crowd and just focuses on Maedhros. He takes a few deep breaths and starts to play gently. His hands moved carefully across the strings, he hums along softly with the melody.

"Hear O trees of trees of the West
Mingling lights in the land of rest
Why ye shine and always stand by side?
With one another you always abide

With light of silver and gold
Such lights to behold
Shining bright with glory and might
For thy elven sight"

Maglor finished the short ballad and settled back. The crowd around him clapped and Maglor felt his face warm with pride. They all seemed just taken with his music and words. He stood up but his nerves and everything just came out and he promptly fainted. The last thing he thought was that he better work on this if he wanted to continue his music. 

A/n: Thank you QueenXirinOfArvada for helping me with the ballad.