A Fëa Lost In Shadows - Silmarillion One Shot

Mandos looked down at the oldest son of Feanor who stood before him. Pain and shadows engulfed him making his Fëa darkened and almost transparent. Fëa's that looked like this Mandos found that these experienced much darkness, pain, and sadness throughout their life. Yet, for this one, it also caused much pain and sadness.

"Please..." Came the quiet voice of the Fëa of Maedhros.

"You wish me to grant you mercy?" Mandos asked.

"No. Just...let me fade," Maedhros replied causing a slight reaction in Mandos. "I caused so much pain all for nothing...everything we...I did it was for nothing. So much...al for nothing."

A broken cry came from Maedhros as he crumbled over to the floor. Mandos closed his eyes but within a few moments, his eyes snapped open to look down at Maedhros. His Fëa was flickering as silent sobs shook his body. Yet, before Mandos could stand up or do anything the Fëa flickered out and was gone from his site.

Mandos then quickly stood up and summoned the soul of Fingon. Within a few moments he was there, he bowed low to Mandos and said, "Lord Mandos."

"Fingon. Eldest son of Fingolfin, I have a task for you, the Fëa of Mandhros has faded into a part of the void. If his spirit remains there he'll be lost forever, I can not retrieve him but as a close companion, you will be able to." Mandos said.

Fingon looked up and without hesitation said, "Please, send me there now."

Mandos nodded and raised a hand and Fingon stood ready. When Mandos lowered it the Fëa of Fingon was gone as well. He then sat back down and closed his eyes. This was an interesting judgment, it was a hard one as well. For only spirits that experienced much pain faded to the void, it was very rare and Mandos only saw it a few times. Yet, he should have expected one of the sons of Feanor to experience this. He sighed and could only think about what to do as well as wait for Fingon to find his friend.

~~~

All Fingon saw around him was darkness and shadows. There was nothing but darkness except the area around him. That area held a light soft glow that let him see slightly. Fingon started moving, determined to find his lost friend. He moved through the shadows with confidence and no fear, then after much time he in the distance he saw a very faint flickering light. He quickly moved over there and stopped for a moment when he saw his Maedhros hunched over.

He bent down and put a hand to his shoulder, "Nelyo," He said softly.

Maedhros looked up and blinked in surprise when he saw him. "Nelyo?" He asked him.

"F-finno?" Maedhros asked. Fingon offered him a smile and moved forward and wrapped his arms around him.

"It's alright Nelyo," Fingon said softly as he pulled him close.

"I-" But Maedhros's voice failed as Fingon helped him up.

"I can't..." Maedhros said as Fingon started leading him away. Maedhros looked up and shook his head.

"No. It's alright," Fingon said gently. "Just come with me, I can help you."

"I did so much," Maedhros said.

"I know but it's over now, your free from that oath. It's okay now, I'll be here to help you. Come on Nelyo, you have a chance to rest." Fingon said. Maedhros looked at him then nodded slowly and relaxed. Fingon then took him and walked into the shadows.

~~~

Mandos opened his eyes when Fingon returned with Maedhros. He was leaning on him seemingly weak and tired. Yet, his Fëa was a bit stronger.

"My lord. I have a request, whatever judgment you give him. Give me as well," Finger said.

"You have not done the same things as he has." Mandos replied.

"I do not care. He's my friend and I will not be able to bare knowing he has to suffer alone. I couldn't bare it when he was," Fingon said.

"Finno. It's alright," Maedhros said. "I'll face my judgment."

"Yes. Yet, I'll be with you." Fingon said.

"No. You will not suffer for my mistakes," Maedhros said.

"You don't get to decide that. I went to void to save you! So, you better believe I'm not going to leave you." Fingon said.

"You both are aware that neither of you can decide this." Mandos said.

"Well I figure if someone can convince you to let them (a living being) be with someone who died. I do not think it will be to hard to convince you to let someone who is alread. Be with someone else who's dead," Fingon said. "If you want I can sing."

"Please don't," Maedhros said.

"Why? I'm not a bad singer," Fingon said. The two then got into a light back and forth argument. Mandos shook his head slight amused, he found a rare light smile on his face. Yet, he hid it and looked up at the two elves.

"Fingon. I have another task for you," Mandos said.

"Yes?" He asked

"I want you to watch over the Fëa of Maedhros." Mandos ordered.

Fingon looked surprised for a moment then grinned. "Of course, My lord." he said. He then wrapped an arm around Maedhros and started to led him deeper into the halls. Yet, Maedhros stopped him and looked at Mandos.

"That's it? I did so much, i-" He then was silenced my Mandos as he raised a hand.

"You tortured yourself enough for the actions you have. As well as you willingly gave up your life due to what you have done. Your judgment is nothing but you remain in my halls. For the time being at least." Mandos said. Maedhros nodded and turned back to walk into he halls of Mandos with Fingon. Yet, he didn't make it a few more steps before he was suddenly tackled by a familiar pair of red-haired twins.