9-Thomas' POV

Thomas stared at his shoes, vaguely remembering drawing the doodles that covered them. He was acutely aware of the fact that Newt was laughing at him, and it wasn't helping his embarrassment levels. Or his self confidence. Then it was too much. All he could hear was a low laugh that seemed almost sounded mocking.
Yep, that was it, mocking.
Newt was laughing at him and all Thomas could think of was how stupid he had been. To think that he could maybe be Newt's... Boyfriend? Friend? Whatever he had thought, he had been wrong. Because Newt was laughing at him. Laughing at him for having the delusion that they could ever be together, ever be more than two complete strangers, one uninterested and the other infatuated. Grabbing his bag and slinging it over his shoulder, Thomas sprinted from the room as fast as his feet could take him, ignoring the shouts from behind him, tears streaming down his cheeks and sobs escaping his mouth.
Then he ran.
Through crowds of people, an empty oval, a market. He ran for what seemed to be hours. When he finally stopped and collapsed to his knees, he let out a defeating scream at the blue sky. The last time he had run that long or that fast was when he the old track team captain in high school, and it felt like his heart was pumping so hard that it was pushing itself out of his chest. Trying to regain his breath, he lay the lush grass, his arms folded behind his head, as he tried to figure out why he cared so much.
Not a day. He hadn't known Newt for a day. Thomas tried to remember the last time he had been so into a person. The only instance he could remember was when he had a massive crush on a girl named Brenda Dharl from year five to year eleven, but that was different. He had known her for six years, not four and half hours.
Why had just one guy caught and held Thomas' attention so well? It wasn't his looks alone, though he was ,well, beautiful. Thomas wasn't that vain, was he? He couldn't be obsessed with someone for their looks alone, it just wasn't possible. There had to be something more.
He just needed to figure out what.
His phone buzzing on his pocket brought his attention back to real life and he was surprised to see that it was already evening. Looking at the phone screen, he saw he had five missed calls, and five voicemails. Opening the earliest one, Thomas held his phone against his ear.

"Hey little brother! You have definitely got some explaining to do since you took off like you were running from a pack of angry wolves, and I couldn't get Newt to tell me because he was following you a second after. So, call me back. Bye"

"Hey Thomas, where are you? You missed your class. Seriously, Call me back!"

"Thomas, I'm getting worried now! Where are you? Are you okay? Answer your godamn phone!"

Thomas grinned at Teresa's concern.

"Hey Tommy, it's Newt, Teresa gave me your number. Listen, where are you? I want to talk. Sorry for...whatever I did back at the studio. Hope you'll forgive me, or at least explain to me what I did wrong. Call me back, okay? Bye"

Newt sounded so nervous on the voice message it was hard to match his confident demeanour to the voice. Quickly sending a text to Teresa confirming that he was in fact alive, and currently in an empty park, Thomas mulled over Newt's voicemail. He sounded properly apologetic, and slightly confused. Maybe he really hadn't been laughing at Thomas and Thomas had just been overreacting? No. Thomas wouldn't allow himself to get his hopes up just so they could be squashed again. Sighing and silently hoping that he hadn't messed things up, Thomas dialed Newt's unfamiliar number with shaking hands, reasoning with himself that it was now or never.
Newt picked up on the first ring.

Authors Notes:
Haha, cliffhanger. I feel like Rick Riordan. Also related to Rick Riordan, the picture for this chapter is actually Nico from the Heroes if Olympus, but the drawing was so good I had to include it.
Once again, thank you all so much for reading, you're all awesome ;) Have fun with your lives till next time :)
-@slim_it_shuck_face
PS-The fluff is coming.