Very Important Person-Nickmily

DESCRIPTION: Nick just wants Emily to enjoy a scone and tea from The Next Steep, but it seems that something else is distracting her... (Season 7 AU)
WHAT TO READ: N/A
DATE PUBLISHED: 28/08/20

a/n hey guys. I just wanted to let you know that there will be a fourth book, so I am now taking requests for that book - bare in mind that it won't be out for a week or two after this book has finished.
Don't forget I am also hosting a Q and A on my Instagram (@pinnpointe) for the whole weekend, so if you have any questions for me you can put them on my story and I'll answer them!

Nick's POV

I walk into mine and Emily's office to ask her a question when I see her reading a note. I guess she got a letter...

"Embo." She looks up briefly from the note to see what I had to say. "I'm going to The Next Steep. Do you want a cup of tea?" Then she looks back to the note.

"No thank you."

Seriously? She doesn't even want a Lemon Scone? Or a Green Rooibos Tea? That's very unlike Emily. But then I see the gift and realise what's going on.

"Ahh. Those are the highlighters that you love." And the only reason why I know that is because I may have accidentally used one a couple of weeks back, and, let's just say she wasn't really happy about that. "So thoughtful of someone." Yes. It does seem very thoughtful, but maybe something from The Next Steep might entice her more. "So anything? Muffin? Scone? My treat." As it always is.

"Still a 'no'."

What has this gift done to Emily? Normally she'd jump at the opportunity to have some food from The Next Steep - especially since she's banned from there: hopefully not for long though, because this is getting very tiring.

"Okay. Well, maybe I'll, uh, catch ya later."

I slowly back out of our office, just in case Emily changes her mind - but she doesn't - before I turn around and head off to The Next Steep.

This letter sure has made Emily stir crazy.

--

I thought coming to The Next Steep would mean avoiding anything to do with that letter, and Emily acting crazy - but I was wrong.

"Hi, Nick!" Jude is sitting at one of the tables, I don't know why she's there - but it doesn't look like she plans on moving any time soon. "I gave Emily a gift."

Oh no. "That's...nice."

"Yeah! Just thought I'd let you know." She smiled one last time before turning back towards her table, thwarting anyone away who tried to take one of the seats.

What does she know about the gift?

--

And apparently, while I was having lunch down at The Next Steep, Emily had sushi - her favourite - delivered to her, and now she's convinced she has a secret admirer. As if this game couldn't get any more agitating: especially for Emily, who is now on the phone to every guy she knows - or, at least, every guy who is in her contacts.

I think I might have just the idea to stop her from making all these obscene phone calls...it just might take a while.

--

"Please!" I beg the owner. "Just forget your rivalry and lift the ban."

I feel like I could be on my hands and knees right now - but luckily I haven't got to that desperation. Plus, the floor in here is extremely messy. Even this isn't worth the hassle.

"I'll consider it." Yes! "But, if her attitude towards me and my business is not one I approve of, tonight will be the only time I'll be letting her in - and only because you are my best customer."

Huh. It seems going back and forth between The Next Steep every day does have its pros.

"Thank you, so much. You won't regret it."

"I better not."

Yes! Emily is going to be so excited! Now to tell her - as soon as she gets off that phone of hers.

--

Emily's POV

This whole secret admirer thing is really bugging me. Everybody in my contacts has no idea what I'm talking about! I hope this phone call I make is the last one. It is Hunter, so he's probably one of the people more likely to be my secret admirer given our history.

How could it not be him?

"Yes. I did hear you technically say you didn't send the gifts, but you're the very very last person on my list, so who else could it be?"

If it's not someone in my contacts, then who could it be?

"Hey, Emily."

"I'll call you back."

Of course, just as Hunter is about to help me figure out my mystery guy, someone needs my help.

"What's up Amy?"

"This came for you." She hands me another letter. God, they just don't stop coming. But maybe this one might be the one. "I need your help with something..."

"Just a second Amy." I rip open the letter and unfold it.

"Who's it from?"

"My secret admirer."

"A secret admirer!" This girl goes crazy for love. No wonder she's had so many boyfriends...that's beside the point. I need to figure out who the guy is. Just my luck: another poem.

"'If you want a peek of who you seek, you better leap to The Next Steep'."

A leap? Who calls it a leap? Everyone knows it's a jeté---I think I might know who my secret admirer is...

I need to get to down to The Next Steep right away - the ban be cursed!

"Oooh. Let's go."

I have to stop Amy, this is my - our - thing. It just needs to be the two of us, not the two of us and Amy.

--

And there he is.

"Embo!"

Sitting at a table with two drinks and a scone - a lemon scone. Okay. So I head over and sit down opposite him.

"What was that whole 'secret admirer' thing you pulled?"

"Just hear me out."

Since when did Nick have feelings for me? Has he always had them and I've just been oblivious? Of course not, I'm never oblivious: clearly these feelings are new.

"I want to offer you a stake in the studio."

Me? Buy The Next Step? I have dreamed of owning this studio since I was in J-Troupe!

"50/50. You and me. I can't think of a better partner."

Owning The Next Step is something that I've wanted to do for a long time, but is that all that secret admirer stuff was for Nick?

"But, what about the letters? And the gifts?"

Nick nods before looking down at his drink - some sort of tea I'd assume: he never sticks to the same one.

"That was real. I promise. But I just want you to think this offer through before you think us through."

While it is super considerate of Nick to do this for me, I can't help thinking that we might not get a chance to talk - especially with Dancemania around the corner.

"Just...think it over. Okay?"

Nick stands up, taking his drink with him, before patting me on the shoulder and walking out of The Next Steep. My ban is something I'm ignoring for the moment: there are more important things to be considering.

This offer? These feelings? Why does Nick have to do this to me?