Wedding-Jiley

DESCRIPTION: The day of James and Riley's wedding has arrived, but why is Riley having second thoughts? (ft. Pinn)
WHAT TO READ: N/A
DATE PUBLISHED: 31/08/20

Riley's POV

Today is finally the day of mine and James's wedding. And although I am excited, something is nagging me in the back of my head - but there is no way I am going to let it ruin the most important day of my life.

"Is everything okay Ri?" Piper asks me as she braids my hair.

"Yeah," I nod before looking at myself in the mirror: Em had done an amazing job of my makeup and I felt pretty, but that didn't change the churning feeling in my stomach; that feeling that something could go wrong.

"You know," Piper says pulling me out of my trance. "James has not shut up about this day. Telling me how much he loves you and how much he's been waiting for this day."

I smile up at my soon-to-be sister-in-law. Although the fact that James loves me is reassuring, I'm worried that he might decide that us getting married isn't what he wanted after all and that he'll bolt as soon as he can.

"What if he changes his mind," I ask looking up at Piper in the mirror. "Then what?"

"Then I'll kill him." While the comment makes me laugh, it's not the answer I was hoping for. "Look. James would never leave you."

"How can you be so sure?"

"Because," she says before pulling her phone out of her back pocket. "I wouldn't be getting all these messages from him asking if you're okay and if you're going to pull a runner if he wasn't serious. Riley, he loves you."

I sigh and close my eyes while Piper finishes with my hair. It is nice to know that James is feeling the same way I am - it's natural to feel this way. I'm just glad that he wants to go through with it - I'd hate nothing more than if he were to leave me at the altar.

"You've got this," Piper tells me as she finishes with my hair. "Don't even worry about it."

--

Watching over the after-party is really peaceful after the craziness of the ceremony. It feels nice just to sit and relax (and rest my feet) while I watch my family - and James's Uncle Arthur - hit the dance floor with their moves. All these people came today because they love us: they want James and me to be together and live our happily ever after - it makes me feel more loved as I ever have.

Just as I'm watching Finn and Piper do their "big fish, little fish, cardboard box" move, a presence joins me at the bench on the side of the room.

"Hey, Riles." I look over and see my husband, now changed out of his formal suit and into a more casual look - very him.

"Hey." We quickly share a kiss before looking back out onto the dance floor.

"Look at those idiots go," James says using the hand that wasn't holding mine to point in the direction where I had been looking before he sat down. There, Piper and Finn were now jumping around like crazy people as they held onto each other and shared a couple of kisses. "Hey may have some party moves, but if he breaks Pipesqueaks heart..."

"Hey," I remind him. "This is our wedding night. Don't let your overprotectiveness get the better of you." He sighs before putting on his signature smile again. "Besides, look how happy she is with him."

The way the two look at each other is the way that James and I do. Who knows: maybe they'll end up together forever like us.

"You're right," James tells me looking at the couple one last time before shuffling his body. "I love you, so much."

I turn my body too, now both of us face each other. Where was this declaration coming from? "I love you too, but why are you telling me this, again?"

"Because," he tells me taking hold of my other hand, both of our hands now connected. "Piper told me about how worried you were before the wedding." Curse my sister-in-law for being a good little sister. "I just wanted to promise you that I'm never going anywhere. Not ever."

The reassurance from James is welcomed. I've been a little jittery all day thinking about our future beyond today. Whether he'd stay forever - as he said in his vows - and whether we'd have kids - if that's what he wanted.

"By the way," he whispers in my ear. "I'd love to be a father one day."

A smile creeps on my face before I kiss my husband.

"I love you."

"I love you too. Now, shall we hit the dance floor?" James stands up and pulls me with him. I didn't even get a chance to answer, but I would've said yes to dancing with him any day.

With my worries down the drain and away from my mind, I'm finally able to start my new life with James, my future, and maybe even my family.