It Has Always Been You

Park Shin Hye as Jeon Sooyoung.

Love.

It wasn't easy, that is what we all know.

It is a thing that frightens Sooyoung the most, no matter how gentle and careful anyone could be towards her heart, she still feared love and its feelings.

The cause of Sooyoung's phobia on love was because she had witnessed what love could do to the other person. She was terrified of that person becoming just like what her former boyfriend was: Possessive, obsessive, abusive.

During her previous relationship, Sooyoung, at first, thought that he was a little bit jealous and that he would have been soothed by her words when she tells him otherwise from his delusional perspectives. But then, things started getting out of hand and her former boyfriend had lost control of his usual cool tempers.

One time, Sooyoung was spending time with her family, celebrating thanksgiving when he appeared out of the blue by charging in through the room, not even bothered to greet her parents as he forcefully got her up and dragged her out of the house. He had lost his temper for no reason and had started to scream obscene words at her, warning her not to go out without him. Sooyoung was so terrified and concerned with his behavior that when she tried to explain that she was just celebrating thanksgiving with her parents and all of a sudden, he struck her on the face and continuously dragged her into the car and drove her back home.

At the beginning of the relationship, Ki Young had not been like that towards her. He was gentle, kind, sensitive and loved her. Later on, he changed for the worse. His tempers and behaviors were getting out of hand that Sooyoung wasn't able to console him or calm him down. He was able to leave dark bruises all over her body and hurt her mentally that the words he said managed to crumble her happiness and confidence into pieces to the point that she was afraid to love again and to be loved in return.

Sooyoung was relieved that she had escaped out of the relationship and did not want to deal with love like the love that she was imprisoned in. It had suffocated her and was close to beating her to death. None of her family knew about him abusing her physically as she had hid her scars and bruises properly so she wouldn't burden them by her constant pleas but they were aware of his sudden outbursts and almost called the police on him when he forced her out of her own home.

Ki Young taught Sooyoung to fear love, to get away from it in order for her not to be hurt physically and psychologically. He had taught her a lot of different things when it comes to love. And because of that, the insecurity increased in her emotions.

He was also the reason she had cut ties with her first love and a close friend, Joon-gi.

Ki Young was really possessive and obsessive with her that he'd act like a raging bull when anyone dares to get close to Sooyoung. Even when she's with her family, he finds every single way to steer her away from them. And because of that, Sooyoung barely had any friends and some close relationships, So Joon-gi was the only remnant of a close relationship she had, and she had lost him because of Ki Young.

She missed Joon-gi dearly. He was everything that Ki Young wasn't. The warmth in Joon-gi made Sooyoung feel very secure when his arms are wrapped around her frame protectively, and she longed to feel his presence even if it is just for once.

Sooyoung was walking her cart filled with her groceries in the supermarket, deep in thought that she had not come to realize she had accidentally bumped into the person she longed to see the most.

SY: I'm so sorry, I wasn't paying attention. Please forgive me.

She wasn't looking closely at the person but when she lifted her head up, Sooyoung's breath stopped briefly.