Negligence

Every marriage had its own ending: either it could last for a very long time or it could end up tearing spouses apart, and Mi Young's marriage with Hae-jin had started to fall apart after 10 years of happiness together which had brought a child into the world.

Mi Young's happiness was the cause of Hae-jin, he had brought the world to her and loved her like nobody else had done so. He was her first love since their college years as their first interaction was during literature lecture. While Mi Young was writing down on her notes, Hae-jin had been at the back of the room, gazing nonstop at her, marveling at her beauty as she happened to be one of his friends' friend.

Mi Young hadn't expected to fall in love with Hae-jin as he was popular with everybody in the campus, but mostly with girls. Their years in college and their marriage were the best thing that had truly happened to Mi Young.

On a Friday night while reading a book and spending time with their child, Hae-jin came into the house looking exhausted and moody as he took his shoes off and hung his coat on the hanger. Mi young looked up with a little smile on her face as she had got up from the sofa and had approached him. Although, he had been neglectful and not in the mood for anything in the past months, which had led to Mi Young having continuous fighting and silent treatments with Hae-jin. It had truly hurt her deeply to see him acting like that, all angry and not bothering to spend time with his wife and kid and just go through his phone or watch tv with a glass of whiskey on his hand. Of course, their little girl hadn't been aware that her parents have been fighting as she was always immersed in her toys, but one couldn't blame her for that as she was too oblivious on what was happening between them.

When midnight had approached and everybody had slept, Mi Young was still wide awake as she couldn't fall asleep due to the lack of Hae-jin's warmth and the arms that used to hold her to sleep every night while snuggling against each other. Hae-jin's cold shoulder towards her and her kid had her heart crushed agonizingly. She wondered what was the cause for him to act up like a cold man. At first, Mi Young was determined that it was because of the peer pressure his work had him in and she had excused his action then. But then, she had thought that maybe he had intentions on divorcing her because it had seemed that he had lost his feelings towards her. Ever since his cold demeanor and him ignoring her or when he remorselessly takes his anger out on her, Mi Young had been crying herself to sleep every night. The thought of Hae-jin divorcing her had her cling onto the pillow tightly and bury her face in it and collapsed into tears. Mi Young tried to keep her sobbing quiet and her sadness at the thought of being divorced hidden while Hae-jin's form was next to hers.

Mi Young couldn't stop the tears from overflowing out of her eyes as she clutched onto her pillow, the missing feeling of his love for her had been aching her heart and caused it to bleed internally. The tears gushing from her eyes and the sobbing that had collapsed out of her mouth had awoken Hae-jin up.

As for Hae-jin himself, suffering through the pressure of work emotionally had him act cold towards his wife, and although, he had not meant to lay his anger and frustrations all out on her as she was not the cause of these for her loved her deeply, these feelings couldn't be suppressed anymore and they had found their way out towards the wrong person. Of course, he had wanted to apologize for the mistreatments he had laid on her for no reason, but cowardice and fear had overtaken him, and he had found it difficult to say the merest words of "I'm sorry" for hurting her feelings unintentionally and for causing her to doubt herself.

Mi Young's crying had truly left an agonizing pain in his heart, but he had also realized that it was time to own up to his actions and apologize to her for being such a jerk when all she had done was being concerned about him. The warmth and affection was what she truly needed from him, being neglectful about them just because of work was a stupid excuse for him to act up like that.

Unaware that Hae-jin had woken up and turned towards her with her back faced at him and him scooting closer to press their bodies together for warmth and for deep feelings, Mi Young tried to cease her cryings and closed her eyes, taking a deep breath and focusing on going to sleep. The arms that were wrapping themselves around her fragile form and the warmth that had seeped into her body from Hae-jin's had her taken aback. Her heart instinctively started beating wildly and was swelling strongly with love and fondness for her husband, but at the same time she was anxious and afraid at what was to come next, so she froze and stayed still. Hae-jin moved closer until he was pressed against her from behind, pulling her into a tight hug that the two of them had been missing for months, with his nose buried in her hair, inhaling the sweet scent of her while mumbling countless sincere apologies at his lack of duty as a husband and his negligent love for her and their child. Mi Young had been completely taken aback that all the feelings she had kept inside her had flooded out; anger, sadness and love had all washed out of her in one go as she, once again, collapsed into tears as Hae-jin held her in his arms while she cried, consoling her silently and blaming himself for making her like this.

And so, it had been like that all night till the two of them had fallen asleep together, in content in one another's warmth that each of them had missed and longed for. The next day, they would talk and work everything out between them. For now, Mi Young and Hae-jin wanted to stay in each other's arms with their reciprocated love for one another shared in silence.