7

Dipper woke up alone, facing the wall. His arm was stretched toward the opposite side of the bed, where Bill had been laying earlier. He tried to remember what had happened, and immediately blushed upon seeing the very real, very vivid images stored in his mind. He did a mental scan and found he was happy and calm, and didn't feel any different than he did before. He briefly wondered where Bill was, and was then flooded with thoughts that could only belong to Bill.

"I can't do it. I can't accept the deal with Gideon. I can't do that to them. I can't do that to Mason. I can't let him... oh, God, Stanford! He's coming back! What if he finds out about Mason and I? I can't let him keep us apart!"

There was silence in his mind for a while, until the door to the bedroom opened and Bill stepped through. His blonde hair was a mess, and he smiled softly at Dipper, but he could still see the uneasiness in Bill's eyes.

"Hey, Mason." Bill said softly, joining Dipper at his side. "I'm sorry I had to leave- someone summoned me, hoping to make a deal." His smile fell as he realized Dipper wasn't smiling back. "Are you okay? What's wrong?"

"I..." Dipper took one of Bill's hands. "Listen to me, Bill. My uncle will never keep us apart. I'll make sure of it. There's no need to be afraid of that."

Bill stared at him. "How did you know about that?"

Dipper shrugged. "I... think I read your thoughts."

Bill sat still for a moment before sighing. "Right. Bonded soulmates can do that. I forgot."

"So... what's this deal with Gideon?"

"It doesn't matter. I'm not going to do it, anyway."

"It does matter if you're not going to do it. You told me that you accept any and all deals."

"You're right. I'm sorry. It's just..." Bill took a deep breath. "Gideon is very persistent in his belief that your sister is his soulmate, when it's very clear that it's not true. He... he wanted me to manipulate your whole family- including you- into making them into a couple."

"Why won't you do it?"

"Because... because now that I'm with you, they mean a lot to me. I don't want to make anyone in your family unhappy because of some deal. I just can't do it."

Dipper smiled. "Bill, that's so sweet."

Bill smiled back. "Thanks, I try. Enough about me- how're you feeling?"

Dipper's smile widened. "Great. Really great. I mean, I can't believe we just did that... it felt... it was... amazing."

"Really?" Dipper nodded. "Well, that's a relief. And do you feel any different?"

"Not really. I do feel a deeper connection to you, but not much else changed."

"Good. That means it worked."

"What time is it?"

"About one in the afternoon."

"Oh, gosh, I slept that long?"

"Yep." Bill grinned. "You're so adorable when you're sleeping, I just couldn't wake you up."

Dipper blushed. "I'm not adorable."

"Yes you are. Stop saying that."

"But I'm not!"

"Why do you hate it when people call you that?"

Dipper shrugged. "I don't really know. I just never really liked it."

Bill thought to himself for a moment, and Dipper decided to not see what he was thinking. "Maybe... Dipper, do you have depression?"

"I... don't know."

"It would explain why you don't sleep at night and don't like it when people give you compliments."

"I don't know. I never really sat down and thought about it."

"You've had to noticed something by now."

"I really haven't. What's the big deal about it, anyway? If I do have it, then I've had it for a while, now."

"That's the big deal, Mason. If that's true, then you've had it for this long without treatment or anything to help you- who knows what could've happened between then and now? You could've hurt yourself or... or..." Bill's eyes filled with tears. "I just want you to be safe and happy."

Dipper took Bill's hands. "I am. I promise."

Bill pulled Dipper close, wrapping his arms tightly around him. "I love you. I can't lose you. Please be safe."

Dipper reciprocated the hug. "I love you too. I will be, I swear. I don't want to make you upset."

Bill pulled away slightly to kiss Dipper's forehead. "Thank you. You have no idea the things I could do if I find out you're hurt in some way."

Dipper smiled. "Possessive already?"

Bill smirked, looking Dipper up and down. "Something like that."

Dipper giggled. "Bill. I'm right here. I'm all yours. There's no need to worry."

"Yeah. All mine." Bill cupped Dipper's face in his hands. "And I'm never going to give you up." He leaned forward, placing his lips softly on top of Dipper's.

Author's Note

From this point on, I will be deleting any and all comments made that say Dipper doesn't have depression. I've said it myself, and others have backed me up on it- lack of sleep and not liking compliments at an early age is a sign of childhood depression. So, yes, Dipper does have depression in these books. If you think otherwise, then that's your decision, but don't come to me and complain that I don't know what depression is because I do, and I've had it for five years. I know the signs. Please don't tell me otherwise.