8

Dipper sat in the living room of the Mystery Shack with Mabel and Stan, fidgeting with his clothes. The three of them were waiting for Bill to arrive for dinner.

Mabel nudged him. "Don't be nervous, DipDot! It's only dinner!"

Dipper shook his head. "That's not what I'm worried about."

"It'll be fine, kid." Stan reassured him. "I promise I won't pick on you too hard."

Dipper glared at him. "Not helping."

Dipper fell silent after that, chewing on his bottom lip and bouncing his leg. He looked at the clock on the wall and saw it read 5:53. He sighed quietly, then took to his thoughts.

Bill, where are you?

After a few moments, he got a reply.

I can't come.

Why not?

Some official government people have the area locked down. If I want to get to you without your family knowing it's actually me, then I have to approach in my human form. They stopped me at the tree line. I can't get any farther.

Mabel stood up from her spot on the floor. "I'm gonna go look outside and see if he's coming." She walked off to the front door, then came running back. "Gruncle Stan! There's a bunch of guys outside with guns!"

"What?" Stan immediately got up and ran to the front door, looking outside before locking it. The three heard something banging on the door before it was knocked off its hinges. Two men barged in and grabbed Stan, dragging him out of the house. The twins yelled after him as he fought in the men's arms. Two other men came in and tried to usher the kids outside.

Mabel fought them. "No! Let us go! What are you doing with Stan?"

"Kid, just get out of the house." One said.

"Where are we going?" Dipper asked.

"You'll find out soon." The other answered. "Just do as we say."

The twins followed the men outside, where they saw Stan getting pushed into the back of a police car with handcuffs around his wrists. He looked at the kids and mouthed "I'm sorry" before the car door closed.

"No!" Mabel started to run toward the car before one of the men grabbed her. "Let him go! What are you doing with him?"

"Your uncle is going to jail for robbing a nuclear power plant." He said.

"What?" Mabel screamed. "That's impossible! Stan would never do that! He's innocent!"

"We have the proof. Video footage doesn't lie."

"So then... what's going to happen to us?" Dipper almost whispered?"

"You two are-"

"Mason!" Dipper turned just in time to see Bill engulfing him into a hug. Bill let him go after a moment, brushing at his hair. "Are you alright? They stopped me at the tree line- I'm sorry I couldn't get to you!"

Dipper smiled in relief. "I'm fine, I promise." His smile fell. "It's Stan. He's going to jail."

The man pushed the two apart away. "And you and your sister are going straight to Child Protective Services, where you will be sent back to your parents."

"What? No, you can't-" Bill tried to say.

The man glared at him. "Just because you and the boy are soulmates doesn't mean he and his sister can stay in Gravity Falls with you. These kids need a legitimate adult to care for them, not someone close to their age. Now, let's go." He began to drag Dipper away.

"Please, sir!" Dipper cried. "Just let me say goodbye!"

"We don't have time-"

"Phil." A man nearby glared at him. "Let the kid say goodbye."

The first man sighed, then let Dipper go. "Fine." He then turned to Mabel and ushered her into the back of a black SUV.

Dipper turned to Bill and hugged him tightly, crying openly. "I can't believe this is goodbye... I... I'm never going to see you again-"

Bill hugged him back. "Don't say that, PineTree. I'll save you, I promise."

"No, Bill." Dipper pulled away. "There's no use- Stan's in jail. There's no one here to take care of us. I can't-" Dipper's voice cracked. "I can't stay here with you, no matter how badly I want to."

Bill nodded slowly. "Okay. Okay. I won't." He wiped Dipper's tears before kissing his lips. "I love you, Mason. Please come visit soon."

Dipper nodded. "I will. I promise. I love you too, Bill."

"Let's go, kid!" The man yelled from the SUV. Dipper glanced at him, then back to Bill, who was an inch away from losing his composure. He gave Bill a brief hug and another kiss, then ran towards the SUV without looking back. Dipper stared at him from his seat in the vehicle, watching a couple tears slip out of Bill's eyes. He wiped them away before running to the tree line and disappearing. Dipper saw a dull flash of yellow light, then Bill fly away in his triangle form.

I know you said no, but I can't let this happen. I can't lose you. I love you too much. I'm going to save you and your sister, and the three of us are going to save your uncle.