15

Bill had led Dipper to the ditch, where the two sat in the grass. It was silent for a moment, with the sound of birds chirping being the only thing around them. It was a while before Dipper had spoken up.

"What did you need to show me earlier?"

Bill looked at Dipper and smiled, pulling a necklace out of his pocket. "I wanted to give you this."

Dipper took it in his hands and looked at it closely. The chain was simple- sterling silver, more than likely. There was a small charm of a yellow triangle on it.

"It's perfect, Bill. Thank you." Dipper carefully latched it around his neck.

"I'm glad you think so. And I have a matching one." He took Dipper's hand. "So you know that you're never alone. I'll always be with you, no matter what happens." Dipper smiled, laying his head on Bill's shoulder. "It... also protects you from Ford."

"Why is he looking for you? Did something happen between you two?"

Bill sighed. "Before he was in that portal, him and I weren't on the best terms. I had tricked him into trusting me and building the portal. After he finished its construction, he realized that I was going to use the portal for my own personal gain, and he went crazy. He broke the deal that we had and tried to hide all of the journals. So, yes, something happened between us. We're... no longer on speaking terms."

Dipper was silent for a moment. "Do you think... I mean, if you had the opportunity, would you try to make things up with him?"

Bill nodded. "Definitely. Mainly for your benefit, of course, because he's your family."

"If he wasn't my my family, though, would you?"

"Yes. I want to put everything I ever did in the past behind me. I want to make up for everything I ever did. I want to prove myself to you. To everyone. I want to prove that I can change my ways and be good."

Dipper nodded. "I know you can. I've seen it. But, Bill... you don't need to prove yourself to anyone. If you know you can do it, but others don't, then that doesn't matter. As long as you stay true to yourself and do what you feel is right."

"I know, but I don't want others- especially Ford- to see me as this evil creature anymore."

"I understand. And it makes sense. But what I said still applies- you don't need to prove yourself to anyone."

Bill smiled, leaning over to kiss Dipper. "I love you, my little PineTree."

Dipper smiled back. "I love you too, Bill."

There was a rustling sound coming from behind them, and the two turned to see Ford emerging from the trees. He saw the two boys and nodded in their direction. "Good afternoon. I'm sorry for interrupting."

Dipper looked at Bill as he smiled towards Ford. "You're not interrupting anything. We were just enjoying the silence and the warm air."

Ford smiled. "It is nice out here. I never knew how much I missed Oregon summer weather. What's your name?"

"William, sir."

He looked at Dipper. "And you two are soulmates?"

Dipper nodded. "Yeah."

"As long as he treats you right and makes you happy. I wish you two the happiest of days. Now, if you excuse me, I need to track this anomaly." He walked further into the forest, leaving the two alone.

"That was a good start." Dipper commented.

Bill sighed. "I wish it wasn't so difficult."

Dipper put a hand on Bill's shoulder. "It'll get better, though."

"I know, I know." He looked at Dipper, and his smile returned. "Now, where were we?" He pulled Dipper close and began to kiss and bite at his neck. Dipper giggled, letting Bill lay him down on the soft grass under them.